Re: What is the most challenging question for the KM community? What is our biggest fear? #state-of-KM

Douglas Weidner

BAES implemented the LM approach over the last five years.

So, if your paper is recent it should document that approach. I should read it.😁

Douglas Weidner

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 7:15 PM Murray Jennex murphjen@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...> wrote:

my paper's approach was developed with BAE, another defense contractor.....murray jennex

-----Original Message-----
From: Douglas Weidner douglas.weidner@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...>
To: sikmleaders <sikmleaders@...>
Sent: Tue, May 14, 2019 7:24 am
Subject: Re: [sikmleaders] Question for the KM community

Connie, Murray,

There is a proven K Transfer and Continuity technique, which we teach at the KM Institute as a specialty course (certification). 

It was invented originally (about 2007) by Lockheed Martin. Recent university research claims it captures 91% of critical K of retiring folks, compared to 61% for one-on-one mentoring/coaching, and a very low % for traditional exit interviews. It works.

Douglas Weidner

On Mon, May 13, 2019 at 9:54 PM Murray Jennex murphjen@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...> wrote:

Connie, as to your 4th bullet, I also totally agree with it.  To counter this attitude I piloted a process for organizations to identify knowledge that was at risk of walking out the door before it walks out the door and laid out some processes to capture that knowledge.  The paper is:

Jennex, M.E., (2014). “A Proposed Method for Assessing Knowledge Loss Risk with Departing Personnel”  VINE: The Journal of Information and Knowledge Management Systems, 44(2), pp. 185-209.

I'm happy to send the paper to anyone who wants it but I can't post to the list as the list seems to think it has malware (I've scanned the file and it comes out okay so not sure what the issue is)

thanks....murray

-----Original Message-----
From: Connie Crosby conniecrosby@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...>
To: sikmleaders <sikmleaders@...>
Sent: Mon, May 13, 2019 8:39 am
Subject: Re: [sikmleaders] Question for the KM community

Getting back to Matt's original question about our greatest fears for KM community:
  • That we don't practice as we preach, don't somehow make explicit our tacit knowledge for future sharing/resource. I have to say, though, that Stan is an outstanding example of what to do in this community. I see in my local KM communities that is lacking, and I could probably help pick up the slack on it. They are very good at sharing when we are all together in the room, but very poor on capturing what we learned for anyone not in the room. We need to set an example for others, plus of course we could use the benefits. 

• That the work we are doing get absorbed by other departments/professions. From where I sit, process improvement and innovation are the two areas that are increasing. And I know there are others. This is not necessarily a bad thing: a lot of methods dovetail nicely with KM. But I am seeing Directors of Knowledge Management become Directors of Knowledge and Innovation, and then at some point the methods of KM become less of a focus and become lost. 

• On the flip side, that the work we are doing does NOT get absorbed by other departments/professions. We need to stay open and include everyone, and KM works best if everyone plays along.

• That as people leave organizations, we do not capture and transfer their knowledge successfully, to the point where the organization is significantly weakened. I think about one client where one senior professional worked very independently and largely did not contribute to the existing knowledge systems. When they asked him to retire at age 67, he was too angry to be willing to pass along any more knowledge. Fortunately in this case we had an assistant able to work with him gently to get the key documents and client information, but it was not easy. There should have been a whole protocol of working through materials kept in off-site storage and client records which we could not follow with him. This of course points to on-going knowledge activities (not just at retirement), change management, and people management skills. Some of which were sorely lacking in this case when I arrived.. 

• That in some places (such as here in Canada), KM never does gain full traction. Here it is big in accounting firms, law firms and law departments, PR firms, and consultancies, but I am not seeing it a lot beyond that. What is the cause of this? A PR problem? Or are we too spread out geographically so that word of the methodology does not spread the way it does in other countries? 

Paul McDowell, I read your notes about KM in Canadian public service with interest. Looking back over my 11 years of consulting, I see most of my experience around KM in government has been with departments of justice. That may possibly be because of my background as a law librarian, but it is interesting to note. I wonder, upon initial reflection, whether KM was given too much of a rarified air, that it was only seen as an exclusive management level thing, instead of trying to involve everyone? I need to mull that over further. 
Connie

Connie Crosby
Crosby Group Consulting
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
416-919-6719 | connie@crosbygroup..ca | http://twitter.com/conniecrosby
& conniecrosby@...
My new blog just launched! https://www.conniecrosby.com

On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 4:14 PM Matt Moore innotecture@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...> wrote:

Dan,

Thank you for replying - this is drawing out my initial, terse post.

As I was writing the email, I thought: “Everyone’s going to want to turn this into something positive - esp. the Americans”.

And your impulse to do so is reasonable and if that’s what works for you then do it. What do you see as being the biggest opportunity for KM?

At the moment, I am interested in opportunities. But I am also interested in fears. Because people don’t want to talk about them and yet they are hugely important and they drive a lot of human behavior. I often think that people are more defined and driven by their biggest fears (of being poor, being alone, being incompetent, getting sick, dying) than their biggest hopes. So it is important to acknowledge and understand these powerful impulses rather than deny them.

I don’t want to stay with fears (and I do want to talk about hopes) but I do want to start there.

So here are a few to get things started. Some KM fears:
- No one powerful cares about knowledge and what we do any more (if they ever did)
- The technologists are actually right and people don’t actually matter.
- We end up in cycle of applying the same partially successful techniques to the same organizational problems forever (like Groundhog Day).

Regards,

Matt Moore
+61 423 784 504

On May 9, 2019, at 12:05 AM, Daniel Ranta danieleranta@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...> wrote:

I look at it in a more positive sense - I would say we also cover what's are some of the most significant opportunities we have in front of us.  We all want to learn about what's possible.  Dan

On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 4:55 AM Matt Moore innotecture@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...> wrote:

Hi,

I have been having a conversation with Stan Garfield about a potential talk....... The thing I want to find out is: "What is the most confronting and challenging question for the knowledge management community? What is our biggest fear?"

Now "Is KM dead?" is not allowed. That question has reached a similar stage to the Monty Python Parrot Sketch for me ("probably pining for the fjords").

Regards,

Matt

Join {main@SIKM.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.