Re: Formalizing an SME Network #CoP #expertise-location

Fred Nickols

David:

I would reframe the effort.  Position it as an exercise in mapping the expertise of the organization.  Take it function by function.  The SMEs you want to identify will surface in that effort but without them being the focal point.  For the execs, the aim of expertise mapping is to first of all identify the key/core expertise of the organization and its functions so as to be able to ensure its continuation, further development and transfer.  An expertise map of the organization is a key element in ensuring the organization’s sustainability.  That’s what I would do.

Regards,

Fred Nickols

Managing Partner

Distance Consulting LLC

“My Objective is to Help You Achieve Yours”