Re: Formalizing an SME Network #expertise-location #CoP

Hi,

My suggestion is much more complex, but has the benefit of being more organic in identifying SMEs within an overall KM system. I led the implementation of this at GE Healthcare during our KMS redevelopment.

I called the approach "pollen", because knowledge sticks. The idea is that a KM portal should return search results at three levels:

1. Appropriate people based on search terms
2. Appropriate projects
3. Source data / reports, etc

The idea being that most people would rather talk to another human being first, then find a project doing the thing of interest, before only as a last resort turning to the source material to figure it out themselves. The way you organically derive this is as follows:

- Search history within your KM portal sticks to a user; i.e. the terms/metadata of what they regularly search for and download builds up;
- If there are projects, i.e. if your KM system supports aggregation of information and primary research into a project, then the project derives metadata from the information associated with it, and users associated with a project build up metadata terms derived from that project.

Essentially, this means that no user needs to manage their own knowledge profile, and it can be assumed that the metadata is self-reinforcing. It also means that, as people and projects change over time, the metadata can change as well (deliberately deprioritising / prioritising metadata based on date/age).

This has to be built into the knowledge management system. It is not particularly complex from a software perspective, but it does require buy-in of the entire organisation, and - obviously - a budget to implement it.

If anyone is interested, I'm happy to discuss further how this is done and how you apply it to your specific software stack.

Regards

Gavin

On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 3:53 PM paul_mcdowall@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...> wrote:

Hi David,
I'm a bit confused, do you have CoPs running or are you thinking of starting some?  The feedback you mentioned should not be taken lightly.  If you want a 'win' from the CoPs then you must focus them on a specific business issue.  That does not have to entail a full charter or business plan or anything else that's terribly official.  Mangers get a bit antsy when their experienced people are involved in activities that are ill-focused, and a full-blown charter can be off-putting when they have to commit their senior people to an ongoing involvement.  My advice is to keep it simple and clear at this early stage with one clear objective.  The key is focus - focus the dialogue of the group, focus the efforts and activities, focus the result and outcome - and show a concrete result early.  Success will breed more commitment from both the organization and the SME's managers.
Best
Paul