KM: Organizing and Finding Content… Out of the box thinking #metadata

Jeff Stemke

Edited

I have been working on this problem for over 25 years (Lotus Notes, Usenet). Working at a large company presents all the challenges: I don’t know where to look in constantly expanding network file folders, we can’t agree on global metadata, search returns too many irrelevant results…

The real problem isn’t organizing information, it is finding relevant information quickly. ”I can’t find anything” is the number one complaint no matter what technology you are using.

Maybe we can look at the problem in another way.

What if you could present all your metadata on one page, avoiding the nested folder/view journey? What if you could find information in just one click? What if the process helps you to think like your best experts by visualizing their Know-How?

I do expert interviews in my consulting practice. One deliverable is a detailed set of notes organized by common topics the expert used frequently when describing the work. These topics became the metadata. I then worked with the expert to create a knowledge or concept map from these terms organized in the way the expert connected them in a mental model.

This model, with the associated expertise, was instantly recognized by colleagues and managers as a valuable learning and performance asset. Recently, I was able to incorporate the metadata model into a clickable page in SharePoint. You can now see all the metadata on one page, organized in the way an expert thinks and find answers in one click. Check out a demo of this at transferknowhow.com.

--Jeff

Stemke Consulting Group
jeff@...
925.864.6731