Re: March 2008 SIKM Call: John McQuary and Tara Keithley - Fluor's Knowvember Campaign #monthly-call #success-stories

john.mcquary@...

Peter,

There are always challenges and opportunities.  One challenge we face is rapid turnover of community leaders and knowledge managers. With company-wide growth also comes new opportunities, so we have seen approximately 80% turnover. Getting the new leaders up to speed without losing community momentum is a challenge. Tools we have introduced to address this challenge is a transition checklist and a community audit process.

A second challenge is loss of knowledge due to retirements and poaching. We are introducing a knowledge loss risk assessment to help address the pending retirements. Loss due to poaching remains a challenge.

A third challenge is keeping up with technology. One part is to make sure the technology is up to date with current web-based capabilities and methods. A second part is to try to limit other tools from encroaching into our enterprise-wide KM space.

Areas for improvement include new delivery approaches for content including formatting of the attached content, being more proactive in applying knowledge, and embedding our KM tool into other applications (something like right-click the mouse from any application and see related knowledge, experts, etc. ).

Regards,
John McQuary
Vice President
Technology Strategies &