Re: March 2020 SIKM Call: John Hovell and David Gurteen - Conversational Leadership #monthly-call #conversation #leadership

John Hovell

Thanks Tom and everyone, much appreciated! So many great resources out there I’m not even sure where to start 😊

From: SIKM@groups.io <SIKM@groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Short
Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2020 1:49 PM
To: SIKM@groups.io
Subject: Re: [SIKM] Monthly SIKM Leaders Community Call - Tue, 03/17/2020 #cal-notice

Good to hear, Guy - thanks. As I read through this again, it occurred to me that the four types he presents aren't necessarily prescriptive. Particularly the last two, barn raising and house tour. Either of them seem to me to be perfectly valid depending on the nature of the conversation. I think fitness for purpose is important, which means understanding intent and then determining which tool is best suited for the job. (cf, Vroom and Yetton decision hierarchy - sometimes an autocratic decision is perfectly reasonable or even expected. E.g., when the plane is going down with both engines out, it is not the time for the captain to go back and poll the passengers about what they think should be done next).

-Tom
--

Tom Short Consulting
TSC