From: David Eddy <deddy@...>
To: SIKM@groups.io
Sent: Tue, Apr 21, 2020 4:59 am
Subject: Re: [SIKM] Getting Document Naming Conventions Adopted #guidelines

As you may or may not have experienced "naming conventions" is a very personal, perpetually contentious issue.

Creating "good names" works when there is a single control point.   The people who create the content IN THE DOCUMENTS are NOT that control point.  Point being: take the content creators out of the process of creating good, meaningful, consistent document names.

> I have a proposed convention, which is simply "Project_Subject_YYYYMMDD_v#", although I am considering dumping the date and version # since box handles this on its own

1/ - YYYYMMDD is absolutely ONLY correct, unambiguous date format.

2/ - I advocate using YYYYMMDD as a document PREFIX in many situations.  Relying on which ever software that's currently in vogue is risky.  I have experienced software that modifies the modification date simply by viewing the document.  People who embrace good filing practices tend to mentally file documents by events & time frames.  Dates as prefix make it easier to narrow in on "...that project I was working on just before Covid-19 hit..."

______
David Eddy
Boston SIKM
781-455-0949