Re: Getting Document Naming Conventions Adopted #content-management #governance

Murray Jennex

I'll add that it also works best where all the users have the same common context of understanding, meaning they all know the knowledge domain.  I found that once you start trying to use naming conventions that all knowledge users in an organization can follow, unless it is a pretty small organization it falls apart pretty quickly and the names become less and less meaningful....murray jennex

My experience goes back to Y2K once again.  We tried to use naming conventions for all electric utilities around the world.  It didn't work, too many language and cultural issues to make it happen and too much difference in the knowledge background of users.  What we found was that which worked for a single company couldn't be expanded to a region, country, or global.  Heck, I found that it was nearly impossible to use meaningful naming conventions in my very large organization.  What worked for nuclear didn't work for hydro or conventional plants or the transmission people.  What I learned is what sounds like a good idea is incredibly difficult to implement.  And this is still true, I do consulting to different utilities and each is their own world with their own language and culture.

-----Original Message-----
To: SIKM@groups.io
Sent: Tue, Apr 21, 2020 4:59 am
Subject: Re: [SIKM] Getting Document Naming Conventions Adopted #guidelines

As you may or may not have experienced "naming conventions" is a very personal, perpetually contentious issue.

Creating "good names" works when there is a single control point.   The people who create the content IN THE DOCUMENTS are NOT that control point.  Point being: take the content creators out of the process of creating good, meaningful, consistent document names.

>
> I have a proposed convention, which is simply "Project_Subject_YYYYMMDD_v#", although I am considering dumping the date and version # since box handles this on its own
>

1/ - YYYYMMDD is absolutely ONLY correct, unambiguous date format.

2/ - I advocate using YYYYMMDD as a document PREFIX in many situations.  Relying on which ever software that's currently in vogue is risky.  I have experienced software that modifies the modification date simply by viewing the document.  People who embrace good filing practices tend to mentally file documents by events & time frames.  Dates as prefix make it easier to narrow in on "...that project I was working on just before Covid-19 hit..."

______
David Eddy
Boston SIKM
781-455-0949

Join main@SIKM.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.