Re: Getting Document Naming Conventions Adopted #content-management #governance

Jonathan Ralton <jonralton@...>

Yes, thanks David for reminding us of this point about modified dates changing continuously... this is definitely something to watch out for especially as the latest versions of Office 365's Word/Excel/PowerPoint have AutoSave turning on by default. With increased co-authoring (multiple authors working on the same document concurrently via a collaboration platform such as Teams or SharePoint), the modification date/time is constantly updated often with just viewing. Additionally with an Excel document, if one does not change the data/contents but applies filters, sorting, etc. that still records as a change, causes a save, and those non-data/non-content alterations are set for everyone else viewing that document afterward. It can be extremely disorienting to others opening the file down the road.

As far as the naming format suggestions, I prefer CMSs to handle versioning and not save _v2.xxx files. Including a version requirement in your naming standards could continue to encourage the separate saving of versions instead of letting the systems handle this for you. If you're dealing with just a network drive/cold storage location, then that is irrelevant of course.

Jonathan

On Tuesday, April 21, 2020, 7:59:35 AM EDT, David Eddy <deddy@...> wrote:

2/ - I advocate using YYYYMMDD as a document PREFIX in many situations.  Relying on which ever software that's currently in vogue is risky.  I have experienced software that modifies the modification date simply by viewing the document.  People who embrace good filing practices tend to mentally file documents by events & time frames.  Dates as prefix make it easier to narrow in on "...that project I was working on just before Covid-19 hit..."