Re: Are knowledge managers losing jobs right now? #KMers #discussion-starter #jobs #state-of-KM

Barbara Fillip

Hello everyone,
I'm responding by starting with Nick Milton's blog post key takeaway.

DIRECTLY SUPPORT THE FRONT LINE OF THE BUSINESS - THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE THE MONEY.
In my case, I need to ensure that our KM activities directly support our New Business efforts.  How is the KM team helping proposal teams get quick access to well-curated information about past and ongoing projects?  That's our corporate library activities, which are geared towards proposal needs.  How is the KM team helping proposal teams  access the technical expertise spread across the organization? That's our technical communities of practice being supported with a social enterprise network managed by the KM team.

Beyond that, I am lucky to be sitting in a very small KM office (myself and one support person) strategically positioned within a broader team focused on "data, innovation and outreach" reporting to the Executive Office. Cutting off KM would not save much money in this case.  And since we are closely associated with the CEO's new corporate strategy, I don't think we are in danger (for now).

Critical to the survival of our KM efforts is also the fact that while the KM team provides guidance and coordination for the technical communities of practice, these technical practice teams are funded in a decentralized fashion by various regional units.  The cost is spread out.  This, while a serious pain to deal with on any given day because they report to these different regional units and not to the KM team, was specifically designed to keep them alive in lean times.  If they had been centralized in one unit, they would be a big target for cuts.

Finally, remote work (on a global scale) has increased the velocity of our digital transformation and required KM to continue and even expand its collaboration with IT.  In fact, some of the things we were working on around global, virtual communities of practice prior to the crisis, have already made a huge positive difference in our ability to operate effectively in a COVID world.

Stay well!
Barbara Fillip
Director of Knowledge Management
Chemonics International

On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 6:17 AM Nick Milton <nick.milton@...> wrote:

Hi Pavel

My blog post “how to keep your job as knowledge manager” addresses this question

http://www.nickmilton.com/2019/01/how-to-keep-your-job-as-knowledge.html

Nick