Re: Creating Online KM Course - Requesting Input #KM101 #learning

Hi Cindy

I taught the same course with Barbara at UMUC (now Univ of Maryland Global Campus).  I was frustrated by the text book we were forced to use because it focused so much on the academic and theoretical side and little on the practical and measurable application of concept and theory to real life business challenges and problems.  I could tell from the majority of students in my class that they were disconnected from what KM is and can be in use because of this mostly academic focus.  Granted, some basic understanding of KM history is needed,  but what the class really wanted, as do many clients when introduced to KM is what is the value of KM, how can it help in a specific situation (adapt to context), and why should I invest my time and organization resources in this.  Not all students were taking the course to focus as many were filling n academic requirement. This must also be considered. Interest in KM value can be developed. Perhaps case study format would be most effective combining concept and theory with practice as well as with KM problem and case simulation.

Best

Bill

Learn more about the solutions and value we provide at www.workingknowledge-csp.com