Re: Use of videos in KM programs #question #video

Nirmala Palaniappan

This is an amazing case in point, Murray.
Thank you for sharing.

On Tue, 2 Jun 2020, 13:26 Murray Jennex via groups.io, <murphjen=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
My favorite video KM system was developed in the mid 2000s for the military.  It was a IED deactivation knowledge system.  since the effective life of a bomb tech is about 2 years (mostly due to stress and rotation of duties) a lot of bomb disposal knowledge was being lost and it took too long to train the new bomb techs.  The system worked by creating a knowledge base of knowledge nuggets, short videos that described how to deactivate a specific IED and was a few to several minutes long.  the system was searched using visual description of the ied found in the field.  The most important lesson learned from this system was to keep the videos short and to the point.  I think many have already said this so this isn't new, but it is an incredibly fascinating case of KM being used to save lives.....murray jennex

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Milton <nick.milton@...>
To: SIKM@groups.io
Sent: Tue, Jun 2, 2020 12:43 am
Subject: Re: [SIKM] Question

I have a personal collection of several hundred short videos – 2 or 3 minutes – of KM success stories in various organisations I have worked with.  I tend to use them mostly in training or presentations, embedded in PowerPoint. They really enliven a presentation, and enable you to bring “the voice of the user” into the room.

I have also used Video embedded in wikis to illuminate specific points that are hard to put into diagrams or words, or to emphasise specific stories. Again, no more than 2 or 3 minutes.

Nick Milton