Re: Use of videos in KM programs #question #video

Nirmala Palaniappan

This is an amazing case in point, Murray.
Thank you for sharing. 

Regards 
N

On Tue, 2 Jun 2020, 13:26 Murray Jennex via groups.io, <murphjen=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
My favorite video KM system was developed in the mid 2000s for the military.  It was a IED deactivation knowledge system.  since the effective life of a bomb tech is about 2 years (mostly due to stress and rotation of duties) a lot of bomb disposal knowledge was being lost and it took too long to train the new bomb techs.  The system worked by creating a knowledge base of knowledge nuggets, short videos that described how to deactivate a specific IED and was a few to several minutes long.  the system was searched using visual description of the ied found in the field.  The most important lesson learned from this system was to keep the videos short and to the point.  I think many have already said this so this isn't new, but it is an incredibly fascinating case of KM being used to save lives.....murray jennex

-----Original Message-----
To: SIKM@groups.io
Sent: Tue, Jun 2, 2020 12:43 am
Subject: Re: [SIKM] Question

I have a personal collection of several hundred short videos – 2 or 3 minutes – of KM success stories in various organisations I have worked with.  I tend to use them mostly in training or presentations, embedded in PowerPoint. They really enliven a presentation, and enable you to bring “the voice of the user” into the room.

I have also used Video embedded in wikis to illuminate specific points that are hard to put into diagrams or words, or to emphasise specific stories. Again, no more than 2 or 3 minutes.

Nick Milton

From: SIKM@groups.io <SIKM@groups.io> On Behalf Of Nirmala Palaniappan
Sent: 02 June 2020 06:03
To: SIKM@groups.io
Subject: Re: [SIKM] Question

This is brilliant, Mark.
Thank you!
I believe you hit the nail on the head when you say videos could be a great way to share success stories.
It is likely to remain in the memories of viewers and influence them - and can potentially be a viral share that reaches everyone that matters.

Is there a magic number as far as the duration of the video goes? Maybe not more than 3 minutes?

Regards
Nirmala

On Tue, 2 Jun 2020 at 10:19, Mark Bennett <mark.bennett@...> wrote:
Hi Nirmala

In general, I believe videos provide a very powerful way to communicate various aspects of a KM programme.  Videos certainly can be expensive, but they don't have to be given the availability of both mobile phones to record people / practices and desktop tools to create screencasts and edit the final product.

I would like to pick up on your third point:

C) Videos on KM practices and platforms that improve traction  

To my mind, nothing improves traction better than success stories, and video is a wonderful mechanism to celebrate success.  I can provide a public domain example from Rio Tinto (one of the world's largest mining companies), where I worked for 10 years and was responsible for the creation of a portfolio of Communities of Practice with some 15,000 members across the world.

To provide a little context, I became aware of the power of written success stories from companies such as Shell, and I wanted to push the boundaries by moving success stories from print to video media.  In 2007 I managed to convince the corporate communications team to include our CoP story in its quarterly showcase, and you can see the result on YouTube here.

Interestingly the video created its own snowball, in that large media organisations in Australia picked up the story.  The wonderful thing about videos is that they provide a way of connecting the audience to the actual people involved and the context that they are working in.  Video also provides a great mechanism to educate and train people in topics such as how to use online tools and the best way to get benefits from them.

Best wishes

Mark

Dr Mark Bennett
LearningCollaboration
82 Richmond St
Leederville
WA 6007
Australia

Phone: +61 419 903 859

On Tue, 2 Jun 2020 at 02:12, Dan Ranta <danieleranta@...> wrote:
Hi Nimala.  Good points / questions.  World class KM programs have videos - IMHO.  Like you said - short and effective.  Short videos help a small team play big since it's a great way to quickly share content when folks have questions -- better yet, you can position them alongside your KM governance materials (ideally in a wiki environment) for greater context.  

Rachad is a video-making machine.  He's really good at them...even in his third language (english)!

Dan

On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 11:15 AM Nirmala Palaniappan <Nirmala.pal@...> wrote:
Hi All,

Got a quick question for all of you. Please spare a few minutes to let me know your thoughts.

How many of you are a part of KM programmes that use videos to communicate one or more of the following aspects: 

A) Vision and Purpose of the KM programme
B) Subject matter expertise converted into short but effective videos
C) Videos on KM practices and platforms that improve traction 

If yes, what is your experience in terms of its effectiveness? If not, any reasons why you haven’t made videos (apart from lack of budgets)? 

Thanks a lot for your time
Regards
Nirmala 
--
"The faithful see the invisible, believe the incredible and then receive the impossible" - Anonymous

--
"The faithful see the invisible, believe the incredible and then receive the impossible" - Anonymous

Join main@SIKM.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.