Re: KM Project Management #project-management

Murray Jennex

yes Daan, the PMBOK is great for using KM to assist project management but I'm more focused on how to use project/program management to improve KM.

-----Original Message-----
From: Daan Boom <daanboom@...>
To: SIKM@groups.io
Cc: innotecture@... <innotecture@...>
Sent: Fri, Jul 3, 2020 12:24 am
Subject: Re: [SIKM] KM Project Management

Dear friends:
Maybe I overlooked this in the messages on this subject but I would like to draw your attention to  ‘A Guide to the PROJECT MANAGEMENT BODY OF KNOWLEDGE” or PMBOK of the Project Management Institute. To my knowledge the 6th edition is the latest version. The PMBOK has a chapter on KM (chapter 4.4) and other related subjects e.g. communications, quality, risks, etc.

Regards and stay healthy

Daan

On Jul 3, 2020, at 10:53 AM, Murray Jennex via groups.io <murphjen@...> wrote:

good points and insight Matt.

I'm talking about having a project or a program management office in charge of KM projects, however, I was wondering if the KM group or knowledge manager are providing the functions a PMO would provide.  I'm not trying to be confusing but I see a KM PMO as providing PM expertise, technology expertise, coordination, reporting, success story telling, etc. that KM projects need (just one PMO for all KM projects).  I'm not trying to suggest we need more management, but I am suggesting that PMOs do help organizations improve project performance.  Also, an organization can have as many PMOs as needed but I'm proposing KM use a single organization wide center of excellence PMO model to guide and provide oversight for all the various KM activities/projects.  And I agree with you that this in effect is a KM approach to project management so I'm proposing we put the KM into PM and in the process, put the PM into KM.

I've also been reviewing KM manager job postings and I'm seeing very little call for PM skills in candidates.  I find this odd as when I did research on KM manager job postings for security in 2014 I found that PM was the third most common skill requested in candidates.  This is also why I suspected that KM practitioners were using a PMO model but not calling it a PMO.  I was thinking that perhaps the KM consultants on this list were being hired to provide guidance and oversight like a PMO would.  And if that was the case, then I was thinking that we just needed to tweak the idea a little and embrace the PM terminology and perhaps more of the processes.  That said, I do apologize for being US focused with PMI but in my defense, PMI is a global organization and I have nothing against the European/UK approach.

Thanks....murray