Re: KM Project Management #project-management

Murray Jennex

Thanks Pavel, good article!  There is a lot of research on putting KM into PM and PMI has embedded KM into their process standards so they do embrace the idea.  What I'm looking at is putting PM into KM and there is much, much less on this and I find that concerning.  Any insights into embedding PM into KM programs/initiatives?...murray

-----Original Message-----
From: Pavel Kraus <p.kraus@...>
To: SIKM@groups.io
Sent: Tue, Jul 7, 2020 3:19 am
Subject: Re: [SIKM] KM Project Management

Hi,

in my role as Knowledge Networking Officer at Roche Diagnostics
(1998-2001), I had the task to improve project management through
knowledge management. The focus was on new product development and
innovation projects.
Together with University of St. Gallen we developed a range of
workshops, tools and techniques all belonging to both disciplines. The
result was acceleration of the project pace to a degree that astonished
even our long time experienced project managers. Today, I still use all
of them to the benefit my projects.

As I got my certification in project management (IPMA) recently, I was
surprised that IPMA does not even mention knowledge management as a key
prerequisite of successful projects. In my opinion they have still a
great potential for development in this direction.

Each project requires expertise to deal with information (KM level 1)
and knowledge (KM level 2). So there is a huge overlap between both
disciplines. Some more thoughts I wrote in this article:
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/knowledge-management-project-part-1-leadership-workshop-pavel-kraus/

Regards, Pavel