Re: Topical/threaded discussions and KM #CoP #question #metrics

Connie Smith

I would definitely agree with your suggestion, Sam! Conversation and sharing information would be a much more natural process to build from organically and could allow for growth and insight across silos and into processes that may never be uncovered or thought of otherwise. So many of us these days go to work and just do our job without much interaction with others on what we are working on, unless solicited or discussed in a formalized gathering (committee meeting, etc.). We need to encourage and allow individuals to bring back time spent 'around the water cooler,' and deem it important and not a waste of time. Especially in these times, when so many of us are socially distancing and struggling with all the added stresses and pressures, it is important to be able to share/discuss what we are working on and be open to suggestions and alternative methods. This, in my opinion, is the most important and overlooked/undervalued aspect of KM, I'm so glad you brought it up in this group Sam!

Connie Smith

Administrative Assistant

Business & Applied Technologies

Buchanan 128

319-296-4009

“Sharing knowledge is not about giving people something, or getting something from them. That is only valid for information sharing. Sharing knowledge occurs when people are genuinely interested in helping one another develop new capacities for action; it is about creating learning processes.”  ~Peter Senge

On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 5:14 AM Sam Yip <sam@...> wrote:
Thank you Stan and Dan, for sharing your insights and experience.

Drawing on my own experience working at global organizations, I feel that companies usually approach KM as building a library, and it requires conscious effort among the staff to contribute to the library. I wonder if it is feasible and would work better, if companies could approach it from another angle and let people chat in a starbucks-like setting, where information can flow more freely and take less conscious effort.