Re: KM ROI #question #value

Nirmala Palaniappan

Hi Sachin,

There are, as Tom indicates, many ways of approaching this. Here is a fundamental list of business parameters that KM can be mapped to.

1. Productivity improvement - Is there a business area where productivity is a concern? If so, is it because of something related to how new knowledge is created, transferred, applied or reused?
2. Competency improvement - Is there a business area where there is a significant percentage of new hires who need to go through an exhaustive induction and competency building activities? How can collective knowledge be leveraged to achieve this, in addition to conventional training?
3. Cycle time reduction - Are there processes that are taking too long and is it because of a gap in how knowledge associated with it is created, consolidated, transferred or applied?
4. Response time reduction - Is there a customer-facing process that can be improved by reducing the time it takes to resolve a problem that is reported? How can knowledge be better captured, shared and reused to contribute to this objective?
5. Cost reduction - Are there business areas where we are reinventing the wheel and therefore unwittingly increasing the expenses? Can we leverage on best practices, knowledge sharing and communities to reuse knowledge and save money?
6. Innovation - How can we create teams and communities to create a new revenue-generating opportunity for the business or adopt radically different ways of solving nagging problems?

Hope this helps!

Regards
Nirmala

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 at 7:38 PM, Sachin Joshi <sachinjoshi.a@...> wrote:
Hello all, this is my first post on this very insightful forum/group.

I am KM consultant in IT organization. We implement and monitor lot of good KM practices in our teams. We also see good benefits of all these, unfortunately showcasing them as quantitative benefits is always a challenge (I am talking about benefits such as reduction in xxxx, improvement in xxxx and so on... not about quantitative KM dashboard data such as no. of SMEs, no. of posts, no. of assets, no. of sessions, etc.).

The question which is always asked on KM performance is, what is the benefit. Change in culture, improvement in collaborating, creation of assets, etc. is not an answer to this. since this is just an output but not measure of benefit/success. Can someone share, how we can correlate KM with business benefits OR how can we show return on investment in KM. Thank you.

--
"The faithful see the invisible, believe the incredible and then receive the impossible" - Anonymous