Re: Emotions & KM #emotions

Matt Moore

Tom,

"I’m not clear that emotions are what you’re after here, Matt. To what
end does exploring that add to our understanding as practitioners?"

So the high-level answer is: as practitioners we are human beings and
we deal with human beings and emotions shape (and are shaped by) human
behaviour. And you might reply, "well, you could say the same things
about digestion or quantum physics - should practitioners know about
those?" And I would reply: "Probably, but the impact of emotions on
organisational behaviour and interactions are more real and immediate
than that of digestion or quantum physics".

The research on emotions and organisations is now getting quite
extensive: https://oxfordre.com/business/view/10.1093/acrefore/9780190224851.001.0001/acrefore-9780190224851-e-160
And this summary is pretty good on KM and emotions from an academic
perspective: https://scholarspace.manoa.hawaii.edu/bitstream/10125/50401/1/paper0514.pdf

Or to put it another way, the very fact that you have to ask that
question indicates why the session that I am running next week is so
vital (and why you should invite all your colleagues, friends, and
family to attend).

"Seems to me motivation might be a more useful vector, no,
particularly when considering creation, dissemination and reuse."

Motivation is an interesting domain in its own right. And it overlaps
with emotion. But it is separate to it.

Regards,

Matt

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 11:00 AM Tom Short <tshortconsulting@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Matt wrote:

How are different emotions bound up with knowledge and how do they impact knowledge creation, knowledge dissemination, and knowledge use?

I’m not clear that emotions are what you’re after here, Matt. To what end does exploring that add to our understanding as practitioners?

Seems to me motivation might be a more useful vector, no, particularly when considering creation, dissemination and reuse. Each of these presents it’s own challenges for KMers in an enterprise, and I’d posit that each has its own set of levers one can pull to mediate it, particularly when it comes to codifying, sharing and reuse.

--
-Tom
--

Tom Short Consulting