From: Matt Moore <matt@...>
To: main@sikm.groups.io
Sent: Fri, Oct 16, 2020 11:12 am
Subject: Re: [SIKM] Emotions & KM - Fear

 Tom,

I mostly agree with the points you make - and I think that they can be applied to not just psychological safety but to many management techniques.

Most organisations and their managers say they want to high-performing but they don’t take the actions necessary to be high-performing. As you say, mediocrity is enough. Don’t rock the boat.

I’d also say that teams can do all the things that “high-performing teams” are supposed to do and still fail. If you are in the wrong place at the wrong time, you can do all the things that the HBR articles and business books tell you to do and still wind up broke.

I’m not saying this to ignore the importance of personal responsibility or the need for personal learning & improvement.

I remain struck by the huge consumption of business books and articles and executive seminar series, training programs etc and the available data which suggests that most people don’t like their jobs or think much of their managers.

In 2001, Gallup found that 30% of US workers surveyed were engaged. In 2020, Gallup found that 31% of workers were engaged.

If the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result - what does that say about our business culture? And what does it say about our collective and individual abilities to cross The Knowing Doing Gap?

Regards,

Matt Moore
+61 423 784 504

On Oct 17, 2020, at 1:32 AM, Tom Short <tshortconsulting@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]
On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 12:45 AM, Matt Moore wrote:
However, if creating a psychologically safe organisation was the most important thing for organisational success, there would be more of them.
Maybe. OTOH, most organizations - the miracle of organizations, actually - can get by on mediocrity. Pull employees from the middle of the bell curve, put them into pre-configured jobs, give them a bit a training, and voila - cars get designed and built. So use a bit of stick as needed - can’t hurt anything.

But not all organizations can get away with that. Some need truly high-performing individuals who work on high-performing teams. For these teams, psychological safety is central, as Google discovered in their research on high performing teams.
https://hbr.org/2017/08/high-performing-teams-need-psychological-safety-heres-how-to-create-it

This is, in an odd sort of way, analogous to why most organizations don’t do After Action Learning, even though the military has shown it to be very effective in improving processes and reducing risk. If it’s so effective, why don’t all companies use it? Simple: no one dies in companies in the course of doing their jobs (well, usually). That, coupled with the political risk/fear of calling out your superior for a bad plan of action - which is a central aspect of AAL work - means that the cultural toll of doing it is greater than the perceived potential benefit (incremental process improvement). Just sayin’.
--
-Tom
--

All of my previous SIKM Posts