Re: October 2020 SIKM Call: Matt Moore - More Than A Feeling: Knowledge Management & Emotion #monthly-call #emotions

Stan Garfield

TO: SIKM Leaders Community

Yesterday we held our 182nd monthly call. 
Thanks to Matt for presenting, to those who asked questions and made comments, and to all those who attended.

Our lives are full of emotion but emotions are rarely talked about in knowledge management. In this session Matt discussed:
  • Different theories of emotion and what they mean for organizations
  • How knowledge and information professionals can manage their own emotions and respond to those of others
  • How to design products and programs that account for emotion
Please continue the discussion here by replying to this thread. Here are the details of the call:
Zoom Chat
From Mon Lukas to Everyone:  05:00 PM Morning All!
From Joanne Jacobs to Everyone:  05:01 PM Hi all! Got coffee now :)
From Jannene Kyytsonen to Everyone:  05:01 PM good Morning from Sydney Australia
From Kelley Doyle to Everyone:  05:02 PM Good evening from New England in the USA
From Heather Fox to Everyone:  05:02 PM Hello from Delaware, USA
From Nuria Yo to Everyone:  05:02 PM hi from Barcelona. night here
From Mon Lukas to Everyone:  05:03 PM Will there be a transcript available?
From Joel Muzard to Everyone:  05:03 PM Joel Muzard from Montreal
From Joanne Jacobs to Everyone:  05:04 PM If there's not a transcript from the sound recording, then otter.ai can probably work with the recording :)
From AlisonJ to Everyone:  05:04 PM Hi all from Canberra, Australia where it's a very civilised hour!
From sswasu@... to Everyone:  05:05 PM morning all
From Retha to Everyone:  05:05 PM Hi from Randburg, South Africa :)
From Matthew Moore to Everyone:  05:05 PM https://www.menti.com/ code 1965677
From Tim Wood Powell to Everyone:  05:09 PM Greetings from New York City!
From Stan Garfield to Everyone:  05:09 PM Matthew Moore: Profiles in Knowledge https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/matthew-moore-profiles-knowledge-stan-garfield/
From sswasu@... to Everyone:  05:09 PM greetings from Abu Dhabi, UAE!
From Cory Cannon to Everyone:  05:10 PM Greetings from the great state of Texas
From Stan Garfield to Everyone:  05:13 PM Discussion in SIKM Leaders Community https://sikm.groups.io/g/main/topic/77128586
From AlisonJ to Everyone:  05:15 PM Thanks Stan. So pleased to be "in the same room" as you after some years of interacting with you and reading your work.
From Soli Le-Masurier to Everyone:  05:16 PM The biggest link I can see (for me) is that as we are 'enabling' then we can have strong emotions attached to our work to make sure we are enabling 'correctly' or 'impactfully' or more common for me - getting frustrated when someone wants to interrupt my approach
From St Patrick's Episcopal Church to Everyone:  05:17 PM infinite
From Mary Abraham to Everyone:  05:17 PM Infinite!
From Kelley Doyle to Everyone:  05:17 PM 12
From Plato to Everyone:  05:17 PM 547823
From John Hovell to Everyone:  05:17 PM only constrained by language :)
From AlisonJ to Everyone:  05:17 PM As many as there are people
From Tim Wood Powell to Everyone:  05:17 PM Hundreds
From Michael Olsson to Everyone:  05:17 PM It depends on what language you are using
From Joanne Jacobs to Everyone:  05:17 PM 1
From Dave Frank to Everyone:  05:18 PM I've seen it and it is a great movie for all ages.
From Mon Lukas to Everyone:  05:20 PM Emotions are a body-mind construct, individually interpreted and unique
From Michael Olsson to Everyone:  05:20 PM Anyone who is sceptical about emotion is a cultural construct should take a flight from Helsinki to Rome! :-)
From Tim Wood Powell to Everyone:  05:21 PM Hume
From Bill Kaplan to Everyone:  05:21 PM Robbie
From Joanne Jacobs to Everyone:  05:21 PM I knew the robot :)
From Jannene Kyytsonen to Everyone:  05:22 PM Where are most of the emotion reading problems from, gender or race basis ?
From Bill Kaplan to Everyone:  05:22 PM Yes
From Joanne Jacobs to Everyone:  05:22 PM For the Aussies in the room, Hume reminded me a lot of Barnaby J
From Jannene Kyytsonen to Everyone:  05:23 PM No, still true in Finland
From Mon Lukas to Everyone:  05:23 PM Yes, @joanne Jacobs :(
From Kelley Doyle to Everyone:  05:27 PM That's hilarious - this book is next to my desk right now, I'm on page 100. Good to know I'm on the right track. :-)
From Soli Le-Masurier to Everyone:  05:28 PM Often both the user side and admin side are terrible, or only the user side is reasonable
From AlisonJ to Everyone:  05:28 PM My systems are not and it is a problem  - people tell me it is boring and unexciting. Am working on design a lot more now.
From Kelley Doyle to Everyone:  05:29 PM @Soli, agree, my last KB was a nightmare to work in.
From Soli Le-Masurier to Everyone:  05:31 PM And then unfortunately demotivating for the admins and un-enticing for the users
From Joanne Jacobs to Everyone:  05:33 PM Hahahah
From Jannene Kyytsonen to Everyone:  05:37 PM Try the space industry where there is a mix of military, business and academia- different cultures and inclinations to share and co-create
From Mon Lukas to Everyone:  05:37 PM That would be a delicate, fine dance, Jannene!
From Abhijit to Everyone:  05:47 PM @ Stan & Alison will share my story some other day
From St Patrick's Episcopal Church to Everyone:  05:47 PM LOLOL
From Zoe C to Everyone:  05:47 PM I ended up talking to myself...
From Tim Wood Powell to Everyone:  05:47 PM We had a great convo — but off topic
From Mon Lukas to Everyone:  05:47 PM There is never enough caffeine to support a breakout!
From Hilary Yerbury Australia to Everyone:  05:48 PM One of our group brought up the difference between emotion in the workplace and emotion in KM
From AlisonJ to Everyone:  05:48 PM HI Abhijit - sounds like every Knowledge Manager has challenges with colleague's emotions, which is a relief to hear!!
From Jooste, Adriaan to Everyone:  05:48 PM We had a great discussion - connecting on topics of similarity and difference, high energy and positive emotion was then created by connecting on who we knew in common. Not the exact assignment - but fun!
From Abhijit to Everyone:  05:48 PM @ Alison thank for sharing experience and yes I absolutely agree
From Joanne Jacobs to Everyone:  05:48 PM I was interested in the issue of responding to people who struggle to emote - such as people with ASD.
From Tim Wood Powell to Everyone:  05:49 PM I am a former psychologist, so I may factor emotions in just as a matter of course
From Joanne Jacobs to Everyone:  05:50 PM I'm not against breakouts AT ALL - LOVE THEM! but I have to go as I have tradespeople pulling up outside my house RIGHT NOW! Thank you Matt! Thank you Stan!!!
From Hilary Yerbury Australia to Everyone:  05:57 PM Tim, Good to know, things have been rough in NYC
From Rosemary Sempell to Everyone:  05:58 PM great to chat with NY, South Africa and Australia in our room
From Tim Wood Powell to Everyone:  05:59 PM I am right on the Hudson River, where there is lots of fresh air and sunshine!
From Jooste, Adriaan to Everyone:  05:59 PM This was very insightful - thanks!
From Retha to Everyone:  05:59 PM Great session, thanks Matt et al.
From John Hovell to Everyone:  05:59 PM much appreciated as always Matt, thanks!!
From Mary Abraham to Everyone:  05:59 PM Thanks so much, Matt!
From AlisonJ to Everyone:  05:59 PM Thanks so much everyone - what a great discussion.
From Zoe C to Everyone:  05:59 PM Thank you :)
From Soli Le-Masurier to Everyone:  05:59 PM :)
From Tim Wood Powell to Everyone:  05:59 PM Great session, Matt.  The second breakout didn’t work FYI.  Thanks!!!
From Abhijit to Everyone:  05:59 PM @ Vittoria & Alison it was really enlightening & listen to your experience
From Mary Abraham to Everyone:  05:59 PM Loved the international nature of this meeting.
From Jacinta Byrne to Everyone:  05:59 PM Thanks all!
From Dave Frank to Everyone:  06:00 PM Thanks Matt. Very exciting.
From Abhijit to Everyone:  06:00 PM Thanks everyone
From Tim Wood Powell to Everyone:  06:00 PM Very interesting and helpful.

Join main@SIKM.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.