Re: Counter-intuitive finding regarding one's personal social network #jobs #SNA-ONA-VNA

Valdis Krebs <valdis@...>

A better way to think of weak ties is as "bridging" ties -- connections you have to people that run in different circles and therefore have access to different information/knowledge/opinions/ ideas/etc than you do.

Valdis

On Jun 10, 2008, at 5:32 PM, Erick Thompson wrote:

Tom,

One more tidbit on weak ties.

A close friend and colleague from British Telecom once told me that your close knit group of strong ties will give you great access and deep sharing, but not so much new knowledge and connections because you already read the same books, think the same thoughts as your close group.

It is the weak ties where you get the greatest extension of your knowledge, network and new perspectives.

Erick J Thompson
Partner | Interactive Knowledge Solutions LLC
erick@interactiveknowledgesolutions.com
(612) 235-6358 Office | (612) 605-4827 Fax
(612) 384-0980 Mobile