I think we have discussed this before. On principle I agree with your suggestion but the “investment not a cost” line as been used by so many salespeople over the years that it has lost much of its power.

Matt Moore
+61 423 784 504

On Nov 3, 2020, at 1:57 AM, "bill@..." <bill@...> wrote:

I also believe that it is sometimes effective, when it comes to the money spent on KM, to talk about it as an ”investment” and not a “cost.” I have found that this change in context can make a difference.

Bill Kaplan

From: main@SIKM.groups.io <main@SIKM.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brett Patron via groups.io
Sent: Monday, November 2, 2020 05:21
To: main@sikm.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SIKM] KM ROI

I would offer that one does not "sell" KM as much as influencing and encouraging leaders and members to "buy" it.

KM practices that do not solve a problem, or are not perceived to improve something, are often seen as distractions or just something "else" to do.

I certainly support measuring KM return.  It becomes far more apparent when leaders and members of the organization see KM as a lubricant, not a task.

Brett Patron, CKM

On Mon, Nov 2, 2020, 8:13 AM Nick Milton <nick.milton@...> wrote:

I don’t believe you sell KM to senior managers on a logical argument, you sell it on an emotional argument; either an opportunity to gain something they prize, or a risk of losing something they don’t want to lose. People generally buy things based on emotion ("I must have that - it looks so cool"), and then convince themselves by logic that is was a Good Decision.

Therefore the request for an ROI may mean one of two things:

  1. You have sold this to me, now give me a business case to make my decision look sensible
  2. You haven’t sold this to me.

Option 1, its worth doing the business case

Option 2, you need to do more selling as the business case wont be enough. Its still worth doing the business case anyway, as you will need it once the emotional sell is complete.

Nick Milton