Re: Counter-intuitive finding regarding one's personal social network #jobs #SNA-ONA-VNA

Bernadette Boas <bernadette.boas@...>

Tom, Validas and others,

I know I am late to this discussion, but having just gone through some experiences lately, I thought I would share:

I agree that many people, employed and unemployed, do not build a network, and work that network , while they have a job, or when they do not. And why not, even when you have a job a network is key to new projects, challenges and opportunities, even new jobs.

Though I just started my own business, I spent the first part of the year with an Outplacement Group, that did a fantastic job in training, coaching and teaching how to network a room, gather key information and contacts from current and new acquaintances and sources, and how to leverage all of that new found network in your job search, promotion, etc.  Some of their pointers were:

-          Stressed that the best time to look for a job was when you have a job – therefore building, maintaining and enhancing your network is critical

-          Held “Working the Room” networking training sessions using mock scenarios for making introductions, asking the right questions, and closing for a valuable contact or source name

-          Stressed that people should not position their networking discussions as ‘job search’, but more so information gathering sessions to collect ideas, suggestions and guidance from the individual, vs. wanting to know something about a job.

o   This concept was the key piece to the issue; current networks do not have new information to share.

§  They absolutely do, but since they know you so well, and ‘the hunt for a job opening’ is the usual thing someone is asking for when ‘must do networking’, their mind gets turned off to new ideas, what they are thinking is “oh gosh, I do not know of any job openings or have any’

§  I have learned and it is preached, everyone wants to help you, therefore be sure to ask and position what it is you may need properly, so they can.

o   Instead, use every networking activity as ‘information gathering’, collecting ideas, suggestions and guidance from new folks, and especially from your current long standing network. When requesting time with someone; tell them that “I want to gather your ideas, suggestions and guidance” that will support my networking activities…..and you will be amazed at how many contacts and new ideas they will share.

§  I have significant proof that this approach works, as my current network was and is key to my ability to find opportunities, projects and clients.

o   And again, as Valdis said below, none of us can look at networking as a temporary short term thing. We never know what is going to happen; good or bad, we need to work and grow our network for any of it that may occur.

o   Pay Forward – in the last several months, I have focused a good amount of time on helping others find jobs, leads and contacts; even before I was provided any. I have found that paying forward and helping others, has a 2-3 time return back, of contacts, leads and opportunities. When people see that you are helping others and opening your network to them, they work really hard to help you.:)

One last thing: there is great debates on whether size of networks, and ensuring all are quality contacts for you, is a critical element for successful networks. I too have learned that a not so quality contact may not be useful to me today, but down the road, they could be. Therefore, unless someone is completely harmful to your network, add them. You never know when you can use them. And again, I have found 1-2 instances of that happening with me.

I hope that is useful.

Bernadette Boas

678-438-1908

The Boas Group

Bernadette.boas@...

“Driving Change, Delivering You Results”

From: sikmleaders@... [mailto:sikmleaders@...] On Behalf Of Valdis Krebs
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 6:41 PM
To: sikmleaders@...
Subject: Re: [sikmleaders] Re: Counter-intuitive finding regarding one's personal social network

Tom,

None, as far as I know. I am coaching several recently riffed friends
in "network building". The only thing many of these professional
outplacement firms[every friend got a different firm based on his/her
past employer] do is to proclaim networking as a "must do" activity --
but they do not back it up with training/coaching/teaching.

The one common problem I see in most of my recently riffed friends is
they did NOT build their network before they needed it. And what ties
they had were all massively redundant to their immediate corporate
colleagues -- many who got let go together with them.

They are madly networking now, but everyone they now meet knows they
have a transaction they are anxious to pull out of their back
pocket... "needy networking" [as I call it] has a large failure rate.

The message I keep repeating: The network you are building now should
not atrophy once you get your new job! In fact use your new job to
expand and diversify your network -- always have several paths in case
your job ends tomorrow. I also keep reminding them that quantity is
not the answer -- build a strategic, wide-ranging network, with both
strong and weak ties. Size is not the prize -- it is reach that
matters.

Valdis

On Jun 10, 2008, at 4:40 PM, Tom Short wrote:

> Now I find myself
> wondering how many of the job search agencies are aware of these
> findings, and incorporate the conclusions into their "how to"
> materials on networking for job seekers. I haven't seen anything
> about "weak ties" being so valuable. Interesting!

Join main@SIKM.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.