Re: Internal Gig Marketplaces #future-of-work

Matt Moore

Hi,

So at the risk of being a bummer here, what actual problem do internal gig marketplaces solve?

Is the problem that organisations have people sitting around with nothing to do? That suggests that they are not being managed properly. In my experience, there is always work to be done in teams - it's just that not all people want to do all the work that they could (for a variety of reasons).

Is the problem that critical tasks are not being done? Again that suggests a problem with managerial oversight. Why aren't these tasks being done?

Why aren't teams collaborating on solving problems? If it is simply that they are unaware of each other's problems then a marketplace may help with that. in my experience, it is often the case that such common problems are known but other issues prevent collaboration - e.g. having my people work on your problem helps your KPIs but not mine so why should I help you?

So my concern with gig marketplaces is that:
- they will add marginal value in organisations with collaborative cultures (and the systems and processes that support that collaboration) and fail in those without them,
- putting in a marketplace will not solve problems of poor management - and may in fact distract from solving them.

The most well-known labour marketplace in the world - Uber - has never been profitable. So I'm not sure that bodes well for corporate ones.

Regards,

Matt