Re: Internal Gig Marketplaces #future-of-work

John Antill

Internal GIG marketplaces are nothing new. It is a chance to learn a new skill with a new team. There are a few conditions that make it work. Your current workplace culture has to understand that you will be working on the new team for x hours a day for x days. It is a way to showcase your talents when you are looking for a chance to grow.
It connects the teams with others who share similar interests and skills. This allows the employee to learn about new opportunities.
This works really well for a new project that will need a temporary work or an idea that the department has already tapped all its resources. Look at this as a way to allow your teams to take control of 1-2 hours a day to work on something they want to do. This will raise morale and is more indicative of today's culture instead of the culture of the 70-90s when they all had to be authoritarian and control every aspect of the employees work schedule. This is not a suit and tie that is reminiscent from the 50s. Today's work environment needs to be open to new ideas to find the next major discovery.
The US Federal Government has created Open Opportunities https://openopps.usajobs.gov/ and allows its workforce with permission to work from this. It broadens and helps with experience.
The
John Antill
MCKM CKS IA KT
MLS KM Student
256-541-1229

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 11:39 PM Matt Moore via groups.io <matt=innotecture.com.au@groups.io> wrote:
Hi,

So at the risk of being a bummer here, what actual problem do internal gig marketplaces solve?

Is the problem that organisations have people sitting around with nothing to do? That suggests that they are not being managed properly. In my experience, there is always work to be done in teams - it's just that not all people want to do all the work that they could (for a variety of reasons).

Is the problem that critical tasks are not being done? Again that suggests a problem with managerial oversight. Why aren't these tasks being done?

Why aren't teams collaborating on solving problems? If it is simply that they are unaware of each other's problems then a marketplace may help with that. in my experience, it is often the case that such common problems are known but other issues prevent collaboration - e.g. having my people work on your problem helps your KPIs but not mine so why should I help you?

So my concern with gig marketplaces is that:
- they will add marginal value in organisations with collaborative cultures (and the systems and processes that support that collaboration) and fail in those without them,
- putting in a marketplace will not solve problems of poor management - and may in fact distract from solving them.

The most well-known labour marketplace in the world - Uber - has never been profitable. So I'm not sure that bodes well for corporate ones.

Regards,

Matt