Re: Have you used/worked with Alfresco? #content-management

Cornejo Castro, Miguel <miguel.cornejo@...>

Hi Gian,

I've done several concepts on it (practical trials mostly), no full roll-outs. It's a very solid document management platform, very friendly for developers, with nice touches that will or will not be relevant to you depending on goals. Integrates very well with other tools, and supports both MS and open standards. The coming version 3.0 showcased in Barcelona adds a further layer of collaboration tools and tricks, plus better tools for building interfaces, that make it a great KM tool.

Sticking to current features and comparisons with tools I've worked with and implemented, IMHO... :

- It's nimbler than FileNet but (on a document management level) at least as good, without some of the worst gaffes of IBM's acquisition. Alfresco is much more friendly for customization. Good support (on both Community and Enterprise versions) beats my experience of FileNet. No per-user (or other) license costs makes it cost-effective on both large and cash-strapped organizations. You can get quality integrators for both. On the process automatization level (BPM) they are not on the same league: while Alfresco supports administrative routing and can be proficient for most uses (indeed I've used it to teach practical BPR), FileNet's processes can be exponentially more complex, leading to powerful integrations with other tools.

- It's far more serious than Sharepoint. While MS's tool does a decent job of supporting team collaboration, Sharepoint is very bad at the document management angle (lack of serious searching, for one, makes it a bad KM solution), a poor integrated web solution, and not though for use as a serious development platform. It's like a house without the foundations. Alfresco has very good foundations and currently a nice collaboration feature set (conversation support stands out), but as of today, the MS solution incorporates some tricks that Alfresco does not have (wiki, blog). Still, Sharepoint's integrated tricks are substandard: neither the bulletin boards nor the blog nor the wiki are especially good nor stand well against the competition. And Sharepoint locks you into a Microsoft environment while you can use Alfresco in a mixed house of Linux, Mac and Windows (and Open Office and MS Office and...).

Re the "open source vs corporate support" question, Alfresco has hit a sweet spot because it has both:

That's about it for current features. If you're looking for the collaboration toolset, though, you would do well to browse the new Community feature set... full integration of wiki and blog stalwarts such as Mediawiki and Wordpress are just half the fun. I especially like the way they manage collaboration with people outside the organization.

Hope it helps a bit. Of course, the relevance of all this depends on the goals you want to attain with the tool... there's better tools for many uses.

Best regards,

Miguel