BTW I actually work in an organisation that uses Slack very heavily. I get maybe 1-2 emails a day - but probably upwards of 100 Slack messages. However it's not necessarily a collaborative nirvana. So if the definition of "ESN adoption" is "everyone using Slack" then  I can tell you how we did that.

Matt Moore
+61 423 784 504

On Jan 12, 2021, at 1:20 PM, Murray Jennex via groups.io <murphjen=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
if you are looking at TRA and TAM then you should also look at the Perceived Benefit Model (Thompson, Higgins, and Howell, (Personal computing: toward a conceptual model of utilizationRL Thompson, CA Higgins, JM Howell - MIS quarterly, 1991 - JSTOR shows how it can be used).  The actual theory is from Triandis.  I used this theory in my PhD dissertation and actually ever since.  I find this theory does a better job for situations where you can't force adoption of something.

On another note, a lot of the base papers are actually available for free on Research Gate.  Use Google Scholar to google them and it will provide the link to the pdfs that are available....murray jennex

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis Pearce <denpearce@...>
To: main@SIKM.groups.io
Sent: Mon, Jan 11, 2021 5:27 pm
Subject: [SIKM] Academic theories related to adoption of ESNs

I've felt for a long time that when it comes to studying the factors that impact adoption of Enterprise Social Networks in organizations, there's a lot of good solid academic research that never makes the leap over to actual use because (1) academics are more motivated by publication and citation than they are by encouraging application and (2) practitioners usually don't go looking to academics for help because their information is often behind a journal paywall and incomprehensible to your average layperson even if they could get their hands on the paper.
So I've started a series of blog posts to discuss academic theories that might have some bearing on the adoption of ESNs. There are many many IT and psychology theories out there that try to model behavior change and what drives the adoption of new technologies. Here's a link to my introductory post: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/esn-adoption-introduction-dennis-pearce/
Links to my posts on the theories I've covered so far are at the bottom of that post and at the bottom of every post in the series. I've tried to keep the posts fairly short and easy to read. So far I've covered seven with more to come as I get time to write. The ones so far are:
  • Theory of Reasoned Action
  • Technology Acceptance Model
  • Diffusion of Innovations Theory
  • Task-Technology-Fit Model
  • Hedonic Motivation System Adoption Model
  • Representation Theory
  • Swift Trust Theory
I'd be interested to see what you think of the idea and if you have any of your favorite theories to offer. I'm looking for theories that have been published in peer-reviewed journals and have a decent number of citations (hundreds or thousands). Not really looking for any one-offs that haven't been replicated or extended. Also, I have a pretty niche focus limited to theories that can be applied to behavior change or technology adoption in the context of ESNs, not any old KM theory.
Thanks, Dennis