Re: Model of an intelligent knowledge extraction in organizations #extraction #definition

John Carney

I have only recently joined this Forum - after a number of years absence in formally working in the KM field - but seeing a name I recognise on the post (Hi Nick ;-)) has motivated me to contribute.  Re the information vs (explicit) knowledge language debate it's an intractable issue for me and there will never be a right or wrong response, I think what's important is clarity of understanding in dealing with non expert 'clients' for want of a better term and speaking personally my observation is that the ambiguity is unhelpful. I have seen many strategy documents in Government that use the terms interchangeably that then confuses what folk are practically meant to do. I prefer to talk about IM and people/ social learning approaches - the latter being my predominant interest. I do accept that for most KM has now become synonymous with IM

Recognising that having only just joined this party it feels a tad  disingenuous of me to challenge the very phrase that brings us together ;-) but I have always found the term Knowledge Management largely unhelpful to our cause - indeed I squirm with embarrassment when I have to introduce myself as KM Lead for Dstl as it doesn't really convey either what I think I am trying to do or what is attractive to the audience
I think some of the early commentators like Peter Drucker got it right when they spoke about the importance of managing people . In my context ( I respect that others might be different) the KM challenge remains a leadership one IMO.

I look forward to future interactions - in particular the peer assist discussion on learning lessons (thank you)  - another example where there are multiple interpretations of the phrase

Kind Regards (and Happy New Year) John

On 16 Jan 2021, at 09:21, Nick Milton <nick.milton@...> wrote:

In my view, codified knowledge can be seen as BOTH knowledge AND information as far as our management systems are concerned.

It is Information in as much as it is a document, video or other file which can be handled within information management systems, and which therefore falls underneath the umbrella of an information management system.

It is knowledge in as much as it can convey understanding, know-how and the ability to make effective decisions, from one person to another, and therefore falls underneath the umbrella of a knowledge management system (using the term “system” to mean “system of management” rather than IT system).

I know many people see “information” and “knowledge” as two mutual exclusive descriptors, but there is no reason why this should be the case. We are used to thinking this way, but there is no logical basis for it that I can see.

I would therefore submit that the category “codified knowledge” can be seen as a clear example of something that is both categories.

More on the idea here

http://www.nickmilton.com/2017/09/why-some-knowledge-is-also-information.html

http://www.nickmilton.com/2018/06/a-new-way-to-look-at-knowledge-and.html

Nick Milton