Re: Model of an intelligent knowledge extraction in organizations #extraction #definition

Arthur Shelley

I have always considered categories convenient and efficient, but an oversimplification when it comes to real life matters such as knowledge, relationships and emotions.

I see such things as a mixed "This snd that" continuum rather than either "This or that". In the case of knowledge, this means a gradually shifting balance of tangibles (one bookend of the continuum) through to pure intangible (the other bookend). Most aspects of knowledge & related artefacts have elements of both tangible (explicit if you like) characteristics and intangibles (tacit). Its like light behaving as both a wave and a particle - we come to understand different insights depending on which perspective we adopt.

When I proposed such an insight be part of the ISO30401 KM Standard, it generated considerable dialogue. Although not included in the standard as such, it gets a mention in the appendix. I suggest it is useful to see knowledge as a complex thing that can be in different forms that merge into each other to differing degrees. These aspects are interdependent and  are challenging to separate out, but it can be useful to consider the knowledge if interest from a range of perspectives when looking for solutions.

Hope this helps

Arthur Shelley
Founder, Intelligent Answers
Producer Creative Melbourne
www.OrganizationalZoo.com
@Metaphorage
+61 413 047 408
https://au.linkedin.com/pub/arthur-shelley/1/4bb/528

On 16 Jan 2021, at 23:12, Stephen Bounds <km@...> wrote:

Hi Chris & all,

I am not a fan of the tacit/explicit dualism because I think it is too reductive and privileges a human-centric view of knowledge. I agree with Nick that it is perfectly fine for something to be both information and knowledge.

Here are just a few scenarios which I think challenge traditional views of tacit vs explicit, and explicit knowledge = information:

  • Ant scent trails provide an active, contextual history and guide for the behaviour of the hive. By any reasonable metric this is a form of "knowledge" despite being entirely "external" to the ants.

  • Mandatory procedural instructions (PIs) very distinctively corral the efforts and choices of an organisation. From the perspective of an outsider, while the emergent problem solving rhythms and algorithms are observable, the organisational knowledge encoded through multiple overlapping documents and put into practice by staff is quite opaque to the client and definitely not directly extractable as knowledge.

  • The contents of the text messages on my phone are parsed and actioned as if they were a form of external memory, quite distinct from the information processing involved in reading a newspaper article or book. (For example, think about the rich visual, audible, and emotional memories that that may be triggered from the act of reading a text.)

Rather than tacit vs explicit, I believe that the key transition occurs as we cross a system threshold. Inside the system threshold, it is meaningful to talk about its knowledge; outside, we must talk about transmitting information. New information can only be accepted as knowledge into that system once it achieves a certain trust threshold.

<piglkbginohplahg.png>

Thus, a written process sent through by head office represents information received by a staff member, but can be knowledge once incorporated into the execution of their role's systemic practices.

The switch in language between a role and a person is important since it represents an enlargement of system scope; employees are often asked to undertake a role "performance" which includes a broad scaffolding of policies, processes, technology, and person-to-person relationships.

Cheers,
Stephen.

====================================
Stephen Bounds
Executive, Information Management
Cordelta
E: stephen.bounds@...
M: 0401 829 096
On 16/01/2021 6:02 am, Chris Collison wrote:
I’m with you Fred.
...and from my perspective (which not everyone shares!), I would add that explicit knowledge = information.
Cheers,
Chris

Learn more about the solutions and value we provide at www.workingknowledge-csp.com