Re: Model of an intelligent knowledge extraction in organizations #extraction #definition

Arthur Shelley

Thanks for the support on this Murray,

You make some very good points that illustrate this point well.

The mainstream education systems is very quantitative, which lends itself to categories and “explicit” elements. This is mainly, I think, because these are more easily assessed in objective ways (to be “fair”). The more intangible aspects of developing a capable human is often lost in the formal education and people are left to learn these critical capabilities outside the system - through their experiences of interacting with others.

The human “real world” is far more about relationships, perspectives and interpretation than quantitative “proof” and our education system (mostly) does not adequately prepare us for this subjective world. The subjective aspects of how we interact are spread across a wide spectrum (like knowledge in its own continuum). A truth for one person is seen as a false statement for another. Whilst there are some mathematical and chemical aspects of the world that can be “proven and repeated” through science, many things in the human world can’t. The ISO30401 states knowledge is a characteristic of humans – that is, it exists in their heads. Each person will have their own interpretation from subjective observations and these can all be true to varying degrees. Our beliefs (what we know to be true) are based on many things.  An absolute truth for many can be utter nonsense for others (with each side having a set of “evidence” to support their view). The amount of love in a relationship can be felt and observed, but not measured. We have the knowledge that it is there and that it is important. However, we can’t easily define it in a tangible way (and if we did it would not fully reflect the importance and impact it has).

I can’t prove any of this of course, because it is based on my experiences and reflections over 6 decades of interacting with many, reading extensively and engaging in many conversations and arguments. I am personally comfortable in knowing what I know and completely comfortable knowing that others see that same thing differently. I continuously challenge my “knowledge” and remain open to adjust it when new evidence influences me to believe a new understating can be justified (based on a mix of tangible and intangible evidence).

I “know” some knowledge is more tangible than others - even a given element can shift over time. There are many things in human history that shift in and out of acceptance over time.  One thing is for sure, when you are up for promotion, the outcome is unlikely to be determined on absolute quantitative data (just like the grading of an assignment worth doing - IE, one that reflects your ability to solve issues in the real world).

Your effectiveness as a leader will be determined by your EQ and soft skills (intangible knowledge) more than your IQ and technical expertise (Tangible knowledge/capabilities). Perhaps I am stretching this too far, but it is worthy of thought/reflection, perhaps even conversation.

This is my perspective of the reality of the human world we live in – one in which “knowledge” is a “shape-shifter” that acts in curious and unpredictable ways. We should not try to over categorise our most valuable assets - our knowledge, relationships, trust, social capital etc. We should accept they are a bit of a mystery and enjoy them (ensuring that we invest in them, knowing they are more important than “measurables”).

Regards

Arthur Shelley

Producer: Creative Melbourne

Author: KNOWledge SUCCESSion  Sustained performance and capability growth through knowledge projects

Earlier Books: The Organizational Zoo (2007) & Being a Successful Knowledge Leader (2009)

Principal: www.IntelligentAnswers.com.au

Founder: Organizational Zoo Ambassadors Network

Mb. +61 413 047 408  Skype: Arthur.Shelley  Twitter: @Metaphorage

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/arthurshelley/

Free behavioural profiles: www.organizationalzoo.com

Blog: www.organizationalzoo.com/blog

Creative-Melbourne-Banner_2018_Final_Smaller

Learn more about the solutions and value we provide at www.workingknowledge-csp.com