Knowledge & Evidence in Decision making - What does the literature say? #KM-research

Hi all,

The CFA R&D team are currently developing the "Our Operations" section of the 10-year Research Implementation Plan.

We were wondering if you were aware of any research or data that allows us to understand how operational decisions are made and the types of response activities that are undertaken during an incident response by operational staff? Links to the broader decision making field would be appreciated, but anything specific to emergency services is what we are after.

We were hoping to design some research which captures the current baseline of response decisions and actions, evaluates their outcomes, and provide recommendations for improvements. This includes the difference between actual decision making and the official planned and reasoned decisions that are often talked about in retrospect once the outcome is known.

It would be wonderful if you could point us in the direction of any people, existing resources, or data that would help us to better understand this space.

Cheers,

Stuart French
Program Mgr, Knowledge, Country Fire Authority (Australia)