Re: Identify subject matter experts by information consumption? #expertise-location

Stephen Bounds

Hi Sam,

I would recommend also looking into social network analysis, and being cognisant of the distinction between an "expert" and a "knowledge broker".

Someone may be a trusted referrer without necessarily being an expert, and vice versa. Both can be very useful but I think are qualitatively different concepts.

Cheers,
Stephen.

====================================
Stephen Bounds
Executive, Information Management
Cordelta
E: stephen.bounds@...
M: 0401 829 096
On 24/02/2021 12:11 am, Sam Yip wrote:

Hi all - I am curious to understand the process by which you would identify a subject matter expert within your organization. I am working on a computer science research on identifying experts by reference to their information consumption pattern -- essentially looking at the topics of what one would read/write, and use that as a proxy to determine if he is an expert**. For example, if someone keeps reading and writing about "5G automation" and "carrier aggregation" (from his emails, blogs, documents, presentations etc.) then he is potentially an expert on these topics. Is this a simplistic way to approach a nuanced task? Do you have other processes to determine if someone is an expert?

Looking forward to your thoughts

**the research methodology here is to apply algorithms to retrieve information from different channels (along with who writes/reads what), and detect pre-defined topics from the body of information.