Re: Identify subject matter experts by information consumption? #expertise-location

Robert L. Bogue

Wow, those are big topics.

With regard to granularity the problem is a set of conflicting requirements.  If you make things too fine grained the complexity increases and the number of items per category drops – sometimes to irrelevance (one item.)  On the opposite side, if the taxonomy isn’t granular enough then you’ll end up with too many items in a single category and retrieval becomes difficult.  So the answer to your question is fundamentally about finding the balance between the opposing forces.

Experience / Expertise is illusive.  I wouldn’t try to capture except in the broadest scales (1-5) and then assume that it’s mostly wrong.   (ala Dunning Kruger Effect)  I’ve seen lots of attempts to capture experience/expertise and misses the point.  I don’t care how much you know about a topic if you have the answer that solves my problem.

For SME networks the balance is between power gradient and expertise.  Senior people will likely contact senior people first and the second person will do a referral to more specific experience.  Junior people will generally contact other juniors and mid-level people rarely reaching out to senior people because of the power gradient.  Of course culture has a strong impact on this.

Rob

Robert L. Bogue

O: (317) 844-5310  M: (317) 506-4977 Blog: http://www.thorprojects.com/blog

Want to be confident about your change management efforts?  https://ConfidentChangeManagement.com