Re: Knowledge Manager Position—Job Search in the time of COVID #discussion-starter #jobs #COVID-19 #remote-work

Matt Moore

Abbe,

1. A willingness to invite feedback on your CV in a public forum requires a fair degree of courage - so good on you.
2. Dennis’s comments are spot on - with one exception - I don’t think there’s much value in starting a blog anymore (2006 would have been a different story).
3. With my CV and the advice I got from professional recruiters aligned, some of it was contradictory. My key takeaway was less content but focused on what the organization said they were asking for and using terms the hiring manager would care about (e.g. $ value delivered, $ budget).
4. Many economies are depressed right now which makes finding a job hard. Not impossible but hard.
5. You can look at 5 different KM job ads with the same title and see 5 completely different activities being undertaken - from what is effectively programming to what is effectively human change management. There are also jobs out there that are effectively KM roles but do not mention KM at all.
6. I have had to do this 3 times in the last 2 years. It is brutal. And luck plays its part. You may go for 4 months without getting anything and then get 2 job offers at once.
7. The biggest thing for me during the job hunting process was maintaining a sense of agency. Putting yourself out there and getting continuously rejected is not fun. So it’s important to be doing things that remind you that you do have something going on, even when the world may not agree. That may be family or community work. I tried to have 4 conversations a week with interesting people. These were not about begging for a job (I would start the conversation off by categorically saying I would not ask them for a job and you could see the person relax). But about learning something and offering something. “Is there something I can do for you?” Again this is just my experience and it may vary for others.

Good luck,

Matt Moore
+61 423 784 504

On Feb 25, 2021, at 4:11 AM, Abbe Wiesenthal <abbewiesenthal@...> wrote:

Dear Dennis, thanks so much for your thoughtful response. I think many people in addition to me will find this advice helpful.

My voluntary severance package came with 90 days of outplacement services which I took full advantage of. I have indeed been working my network as much as possible but it's funny: my experience seems to be bucking the trend! That is to say, I've not gotten interviews for jobs for which I had an internal referral (either formal or informal) but have gotten interviews for resumés sent as what I call "cold uploads". I know that's not the norm. I have around 1,300 LI connections but am always expanding the list and looking for connections to a particular company when appropriate.

I agree with you 100% about the resume software; one of the members of this forum has kindly offered their feedback already. I have a "base" resume that I tweak for each job application; this also makes it easy to track which jobs I've applied for and when by filename.

Re: your comment about a blog: I have created a Confluence Space in which I've published my articles and experience around KM. If you like I can send you an invite since I cannot make the site public under an individual license agreement.

On a side note, I have a blog where I promote independent bookstores, books and authors around the world at www.angryalgonquin.com.

I would like to extend my thanks to everyone who has reached out to me on gmail or Linkedin. So generous and so welcome!