Re: Knowledge sharing culture #culture #trust #collaboration

Laurence Lock Lee

Hansen’s findings have not been outdated by the recent COVID enforced digital collaboration tools boom. We are currently preparing our second Microsoft Teams benchmarking report that uses online digital interactions rather than the traditional surveys. We use metadata only so it is context free. We assessed nearly 100,000 teams across 34 organisations this time. We completed our 6th Yammer benchmarking report late last year (nearly 9,000 communities across 116 organisations). Our practice is to create a ranking of what we believe are top ranking communities and teams and then go to those organisations represented to solicit their ‘stories’ that are then included in the reports as both a validation of our ranking algorithms and a means for sharing “what good looks like”. We regularly see elements of Hansen’s 1st and 3rd point (as per Nick’s post above). We don’t collect negative cases so no examples of the second one.

Adding to the discussion on frontline workers / emergency workers etc.. we have found that most of their collaborative work happens outside their ‘shift’.... they have little time to chat while say driving the bus, preparing fast food, fighting bush fires, serving airline passengers. With the ‘right’ culture in place they will voluntarily share their best practices outside of formal work time.

On the question of creating that collaboration culture and the issue of where and when collaboration is useful, I think the question in the digital world is becoming less relevant. Employees are voting with their feet. If its not useful they just don’t do it. Where it works it is useful to share the contexts in which practices are working ... some of which have more generic appeal across contexts. So the task becomes amplifying the ‘good’. The ‘bad’ which might need some dampening is also worth highlighting. This is why we have started to include a section in our reports from our consulting partners on “worst practices” to avoid.

For those that might be interested the reports are free .... our donation to the knowledge sharing community! Website below:

Laurence Lock Lee
Co-founder and Chief Scientist
SWOOP Analytics
llocklee@...