Re: Knowledge sharing culture #culture #trust #collaboration

Kim Glover

Hi all,

I’m a little late to the conversation party and was going to reference Nancy Dixon’s recent articles … but I see that you already have, Nancy. I really, really liked that series.

It’s a really robust dialogue that you’ve started, Stacie, with several different thought-provoking threads, and the only thing I can add is a word / concept that isn’t mentioned in the question about “creating a culture of sharing” except in the quote Eli posted from Mr. Buckman: trust. Trust is a critical success factor for collaboration – trust in the process, trust in the platforms or mechanisms for sharing, trust that someone out there will care about what I have to share, trust that if I’m wrong, it won’t ruin my career but start an important dialogue, trust that knowledge-sharing is a valued activity within the organization. We’ve deployed an all-employee survey quite a few times in my couple of decades in KM to establish a baseline and then measure against it, and one of the most interesting and useful questions is how much the employee agrees with this statement: “Knowledge-sharing is valued here.”

Just this week, I used Covey’s high-trust environment factors from his book “The Speed of Trust” as a Take 5 moment. (At the start of every meeting that’s an hour or more, we take 5 minutes to talk about something that supports one or more of our core values: respect, integrity, safety, quality and sustainability, or one of our three foundational beliefs: building trust, achieving together and realizing possibilities. It really works to reinforce our culture.) Directly from Covey’s work, a high-trust environment has these characteristics:

  • Information is shared openly
  • Mistakes are tolerated and encouraged as a way of learning
  • The culture is innovative and creative
  • People are loyal to those who are absent
  • People talk straight and confront real issues
  • There is real communication and real collaboration
  • People share credit abundantly and openly celebrate each others’ success
  • There are few “meetings after the meetings”
  • Transparency is a practiced value
  • People are candid and authentic
  • There is a high degree of accountability
  • There is palpable vitality and energy–people can feel the positive momentum

And of course, a low-trust environment has the opposite characteristics, including knowledge hoarding, lack of collaboration, less innovation, etc.

So in my humble opinion, a big part of our jobs is focusing on creating trust between people, trust across the culture and trust in the value and effectiveness of collaboration and knowledge-sharing.

Thanks again for the question, Stacie, I’ve learned a lot and have been reminded of a lot more with all of the great responses, references and links. This is a great group and I hope to be more active (both learning and sharing) here.

Kim

Kim Glover

Director, Innovative Learning & Knowledge Management  |  People and Culture

P  +1 281 405 7069  |  M  +1 832 472 2983

kim.glover@...

TechnipFMC
1 Subsea Lane, John T. Gremp Campus | S01 | 2.417 |  Houston, Texas |  77044
www.TechnipFMC.com