Re: Working Out Loud - I can’t even hear myself think #WOL #information-overload

Robert L. Bogue

Matt –

Your message prompted me to remember a long-lost thought.

The difference between “working out loud” or more broadly social approaches is that we move from a contract-based system to a leaky bucket based system.  By this I mean, if I receive a directed email from another person, I’ll respond to it if it asks for a response.  For me it’s a social contract.  I’ll break it for spammers and if you clearly demonstrate you’re not adhering to the same social contract – but it’s a contract.

With social and “working out loud” it’s firing things into the universe (resulting in a deafening noise) and we’re hoping that some of what we’re saying will stick. It’s like we’re trying for our thoughts and ideas to go viral.  We forget that we’ve got roughly the same odds of becoming a viral phenomenon as winning the lottery.  However, it plays well to an audience of folks who believe in luck.

That being said, I firmly believe in work out loud – but doing so in a way that doesn’t interfere with others right to turn the squelch up and ignore me if I’m not relevant to them.  I’ve been posting a book review each week for years now.  I’ve got a library of hundreds of reviews that are available for anyone who wants to extract something from them – but I don’t push them.  That’s the heart of it but not everyone’s motives are the same.

Rob

Robert L. Bogue

O: (317) 844-5310  M: (317) 506-4977 Blog: http://www.thorprojects.com/blog

Want to be confident about your change management efforts?  https://ConfidentChangeManagement.com