Re: Working Out Loud - I can’t even hear myself think #WOL #information-overload

Stephen Bounds

Am I the only one who interprets "working out loud" as meaning something quite different from "converse about everything in shared channels"?

For example, if I do some research and publish the findings on my personal blog, that's "working out loud" in the sense that I make it available for anyone else who serendipitously comes across it in a later Google search. And perhaps there might be someone diehard enough to subscribe to my feed to see everything I write. But I wouldn't publish the article and always CC everyone in my organisation to say "hey, check out my post!".

Similarly, attaching my correspondence with a client to their bug report would be "working out loud" in sense that the history remains available to anyone who takes over the report later on. But I wouldn't subscribe everyone in my team to receive notifications unless it was a "drop-dead, all hands on deck" bug that had to be fixed as soon as humanly possible.

As for Slack, the first thing I do is to turn off everything except @-notifications and I never leave it visible and running unless I'm having an active conversation. There may be people who can be productive and have a running ambient commentary in a corner of the screen, but I'm not one of them.

Seems like your organisation may need to learn the difference between "working out loud" and "yelling loudly across a virtual open plan office" Matt 😉

Cheers,
Stephen.

Stephen Bounds
Executive, Information Management
Cordelta
E: stephen.bounds@...
M: 0401 829 096
On 28/03/2021 2:03 pm, Murray Jennex via groups.io wrote:

I feel you Matt, I'm in the same boat and I pray I don't ignore something important but fear I am, this is the problem with this and I don't have a solution but hope someone on the list does...murray jennex