Re: Working Out Loud - I can’t even hear myself think #WOL #information-overload

Murray Jennex

I agree with you Stephen but what I was referring too is that there are so many people I have to pay attention too that all the pubs, blogs, emails, tweets, etc. amount to several hundred communications that I get each day and the information overload from all the noise of communications that are not vital.  To me that is the working out loud is from all these nice to know but not essential communications I'm getting each day and my fear is that as I skim through them I'll miss something important.  The noise is not from reply to all but from people in my networks with posts.  There are days when this list has a lot of working out loud (yet I skim all the posts as there is value there). Perhaps it is my fault for trying to be current and/or cutting edge in so many areas.  Still, I saw Matt's point.....murray jennex

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Bounds <km@...>
To: main@SIKM.groups.io; matt@... <matt@...>
Sent: Sat, Mar 27, 2021 9:42 pm
Subject: Re: [SIKM] Working Out Loud - I can’t even hear myself think

Am I the only one who interprets "working out loud" as meaning something quite different from "converse about everything in shared channels"?
For example, if I do some research and publish the findings on my personal blog, that's "working out loud" in the sense that I make it available for anyone else who serendipitously comes across it in a later Google search. And perhaps there might be someone diehard enough to subscribe to my feed to see everything I write. But I wouldn't publish the article and always CC everyone in my organisation to say "hey, check out my post!".
Similarly, attaching my correspondence with a client to their bug report would be "working out loud" in sense that the history remains available to anyone who takes over the report later on. But I wouldn't subscribe everyone in my team to receive notifications unless it was a "drop-dead, all hands on deck" bug that had to be fixed as soon as humanly possible.
As for Slack, the first thing I do is to turn off everything except @-notifications and I never leave it visible and running unless I'm having an active conversation. There may be people who can be productive and have a running ambient commentary in a corner of the screen, but I'm not one of them.
Seems like your organisation may need to learn the difference between "working out loud" and "yelling loudly across a virtual open plan office" Matt 😉
Cheers,
Stephen.
Stephen Bounds
Executive, Information Management
Cordelta
E: stephen.bounds@...
M: 0401 829 096
On 28/03/2021 2:03 pm, Murray Jennex via groups.io wrote:
I feel you Matt, I'm in the same boat and I pray I don't ignore something important but fear I am, this is the problem with this and I don't have a solution but hope someone on the list does...murray jennex