Re: Knowledge Management Maturity Baseline #maturity #institutionalization

Murray Jennex

You can't get away from benchmarks and baseline models, it is how senior managers think and talk amongst themselves as none of them want to talk about their specific organization.  There are actually 3 levels of benchmarks and most times people only refer to the first level which are numbers and measures.  The second level is more useful, this level looks at lessons learned, good practices tied to performance, etc.  These are useful for talking to senior leaders.  The KM standard, just released, is a kind of benchmark and can be used for this purpose.....murray jennex

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul McDowall via groups.io <paul_mcdowall@...>
To: main@SIKM.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Apr 13, 2021 11:15 am
Subject: Re: [SIKM] Knowledge Management Maturity Baseline #maturity #institutionalization

Hi Jonathan,
Once I had a hard time with one senior leader who thought there should be specific references and benchmarks and baseline models.  He did not, could not (would not?) understand that organizations were different and while benchmarks can give you some ideas, they are not in and of themselves the solution to every organization's issues and needs. Identifying the needs, opportunities and issues within the organization is the best place to start.  Having said that I heartily agree that 'factoids' (as one senior leader called them) can be used to illustrate some of the potential advantages of taking an informed, analytical examination of areas of need and opportunity to which KM can be addressed. I've used them myself but with some degree of discernment on how and when to use them.
Best
Paul