Re: Generations #generations

Yao Ge

Don Burke (the 2nd guy from right in the panel) mentioned the 69 Yr-old guy with 30,000 edits was trying to do everything with wiki.
-Yao

From: sikmleaders@... [mailto:sikmleaders@...] On Behalf Of Steve Ardire
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2008 1:53 PM
To: sikmleaders@...
Subject: Re: [sikmleaders] Twitter

Yao I attended E2.0 conf and this session. Did you know that the #1 contributor to Intellipedia is a 69 year old guy ;)

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 6:58 AM, Ge, Yao (Y.) <yge@...> wrote:

Very insightful Mark. When I brought up the issue of generation gap, I mean to bring attention to gaps in habits and comfort levels to different types of media people leverage to stay connected to each other. It is not that much about multi-tasking vs. single tasking and shallow thinking vs. deep thinking. We need both skills preferably and someone would thrive in one vs. the other. One of the KM goal to bring all these type talents together via all available channels that they are on. There is no stereotyping on old generations. I do think the brains get wired differently in younger generation and workplace needs to be ready to leverage it.

Here is the video achieve for Enterprise 2.0 Conference
The Enterprise 2.0 Reality Check panel discussion is the 3rd from the top. The two guys sat at the right end of the panel are from CIA. They worked on Intellipedia project.

-Yao

From: sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Mark D Neff
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2008 8:39 AM
To: sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [sikmleaders] Twitter

Matt and Peter,

I agree about Twitter. I see a lot of people using it to chronicle their day, not so useful. Others use it to pose interesting questions or share what they are working on. Much more useful ... at least to me. Recently I attended a Twebinar (maybe the one you mentioned below) - webinar with hosted twitter session on the side. It was very fast paced but interesting. It took back channel to a whole new level. Lots of people commenting on what they heard, what they could apply, what they wanted more of, what they agreed with, what they didn't agree with, other topics they would like to see addressed in a similar manner. (There were close to 40 twitters a minute during some of the conference that had over 500 people in attendance.) Anything you can do to get real feedback from people other than a smiley sheet at the end is a step in the right direction for me. It also leads up to getting a discussion to last longer than just the event and building a support team for asking questions afterwards. As a result of attending the twebinar (www.twebinar.com), I added several people to follow and several people added me to the list of people they follow. Just because you have not found a use for it yet, does not mean one does not exist.

I have already had one colleague confess that Twitter is the only way she could get an answer to something from someone. They didn't respond to email, didn't respond to a phone call. They did however respond to her question on Twitter. Very interesting. Again, we just need to figure out what medium people respond to and be versatile enough to use what they prefer to use to get our answers and continue building the behaviors necessary to encourage collaboration - in all forms. I see potential value to it for a manager trying to keep in touch with their remote workers. If you see them pop up on twitter and share a little bit about what they are working on it helps to fill in the unknown during the week between staff meetings when you really don't know what they are doing and you want to know but don't want to appear too intrusive or as if you are micro-managing them. It also gives you a chance to share withthem what you are working on. A new communication medium and a way for you to bring them along by helping them understand some of the things you are trying to address or have interests in. A new way build or enhance current strategies for relationship building. A quick way to jot down thoughts that might lead to an intersting blog article but something that literally takes seconds and not minutes or hours. A quicker way to point people to interesting urls you run across without having to string them along into a newsletter or even a reply to a listserv. It also focuses you. Getting a message into 140 characters is not easy when you first get started.

If interested, I am mneff on twitter. I don't "tweet" all day but I do put out a question from time to time or comment on something I am looking into.

Mark Neff

Matt Moore <laalgadger@yahoo.co.uk>
Sent by: sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com

07/02/2008 07:01 PM

To
sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com
cc
Subject
[sikmleaders] Twitter

Peter,

I have had a Twitter account for nearly a year but only got into it in the last 3 months. The observation I would make is: Like all social software, Twitter is not much fun if you are doing it by yourself. It becomes fun (& useful) when there is a group of you on there. I was at a conference a couple of weeks ago where half the audience (noo meeja) were Twittering & the other half (auld meeja) weren't. An eye-opener. And Twitter has actually demonstrated some ROI for me.

BTW My Twitter ID is innotecture if anyone wants to connect.

Cheers,

Matt

--- On Wed, 7/2/08, Peter Dorfman <pdorfman@knowfarm.com> wrote:
Subject: Re: [sikmleaders] Making SIKM Presentations More Widely Available
To: sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, July 2, 2008, 11:13 PM

I think the other members have put it pretty well. I'd say go for it. I might
even feel moved to blog.

Hey....how many of you Twitter? I've just tried it for the first time. I suppose
there might be lots of people who really need to tweet, have a practical reason
for it, but I don't, as a function of what I do, so it left me feeling just a
bit, how shall I put this...narcissistic ? Have you ever had that feeling about
any of these Web 2 gimmicks?

Peter Dorfman

Join main@SIKM.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.