From: sikmleaders@... [mailto:sikmleaders@...] On Behalf Of Peter Marshall
Sent: Saturday, July 05, 2008 10:25 AM
To: sikmleaders@...
Subject: Re: [sikmleaders] Re: Multitasking

Hi Martin! :-) Give hugs to the Toronto gang for me.

So I don't believe that multi-tasking (or the ability to use
chat-abbreviations) is generational.

But I have observed a general decline in the business world of the
tolerance or patience for reflective thought. A kind of culturally
programmed ADD that seems to have obliterated the capacity of most
people to follow complex thoughts, or develop a nuanced understanding.
And actually, I think this affects more senior execs from the old
generation more than younger folks.

Now it's always been true that as execs got older, they get to the
point more and more quickly, they avoid sophomoric theorizing and
over-analysis, they navigate their personal networks to find answers
rather than trying to understand everything themselves. All good.

But I'm talking about somethin different and new -- an inability to
think complex thoughts. And I trace this back to our over-stimulated,
snippet-based culture. News as sound bites. IM rather than letters.
And I think this is not effective... I think those that fall into this
trap will end up getting out-competed by those that still can think.

I personally have always been struck by the beautiful, complex
thinking that even the commonest Civil War recruit could express in
letters back home, let alone the gorgeous thinking of folks like John
Adams or Beethoven, compared to the useless "hey u. wywh. twittering
away.." of our time. It's startling and obvious -- no way to avoid
seeing the obvious downside of our culture.

And I personally find that the capacity for reflective thought is
greatly enhanced by practice. For the last year, I have handwritten a
letter to a particular friend every morning, and I find it to be a
very useful way to get the mind humming. I also find that running
outdoors or similar meditative exercise every single day is enormously
helpful... the time spent is always paid back in spades.

Peter