Re: Quick Summary of KM Scope? #metrics #strategy #vision

Dennis Thomas

This thread has been an excellent learning experience.  Though we are a technology company, not consultants per se, we have honed two definitions that may be of value to this forum.  They are:

 Organizational Knowledge – The aggregate value of an organization’s workforce knowledge related to its strategies, structures, products, services, functions, procedures, tasks, and processes that employees, partners, and suppliers must know to accomplish organizational goals and objectives. What customers need to know to enhance their understanding and use of an organization’s products and services.

Knowledge Management (KM) – Coordinated activity of identifying if and where the cognitive knowledge of an organization exists, how it is used, and how that knowledge flows through the organization to optimize organizational goals and objectives.  KM is concerned with the overall development and alignment of operational, product, and service knowledge, workforce talent and skills, and workforce cultures.  KM is an umbrella term that includes Change Management, Training & Development, Learning & Development, Instructional Design, Lean, and ISO Quality Management.

Dennis L. Thomas
IQStrategix
(810) 662-5199

Leveraging Organizational Knowledge

On May 19, 2021 at 10:15:03 AM, David Graffagna (davidgraffagna@...) wrote:

Stephen,

Great questions. I know from personal experience how changes in sponsors or leadership can impact KM initiatives so demonstrating value is key. It is also imperative to remain aligned as organizational goals change, new functions or areas of emphasis arise, or organization structure changes are implemented.

Without getting into a lot of detail, we assess our KM success based on a number of things, some of which are specific to individual initiatives. For example:
  • User Perception/Customer Satisfaction … we regularly survey our end-user audiences on how and they are using KM, where they are finding the most value (e.g., what's the perceived value of our efforts/initiatives), what issues they are typically trying to solve with KM, where they would like to see changes/enhancements to our efforts, etc.
  • Direct Alignment with Business Unit & Functional Area Leadership … we have established liaison relationships with leadership from various areas of the business allowing us to: a) provide those leaders with insight into how people in their areas are using KM, b) continually align our efforts with their goals, c) ensure KM is getting more and more embedded in their work processes, d) identify new or expanding areas where we can offer support, etc.
  • Practical Measures … typical measures such as site visits and resource usage, content ratings, content/resource submissions, etc.
  • Tying to Leadership Reporting Vehicles … connecting some of our efforts directly into reporting tools used by leadership to assess projects (e.g., lessons learned as part of quarterly leadership reporting dashboard).
  • KM Mentions … a bit selfishly, we also follow when, where and how often KM is mentioned/referenced in a wide variety of communication vehicles (e.g., CoP discussions, business area presentations/town halls, intranet articles/posts, internal newsletters, etc.)
Not certain that answers 100% of your questions Stephen, but that is where we are 18 months into our journey.

Best,

David