Re: Quick Summary of KM Scope? #metrics #strategy #vision

Stephen Bounds

No, that's great David -- you've identified a nice range of specific and broad metrics there, including internal and external reports.

If you don't mind me probing a little further:

  • What have you found works best for surveys? Periodic or ongoing (ie just having a self-survey form online for anyone to fill in)? Single questions or a more comprehensive effort?
  • Do you track your various liaison efforts (as you might in a CRM for more traditional customers)? Does it concern you if you identify an area that is neutral or hostile to your efforts, or are you just focusing on serving those receptive to your needs?

I am asking as much for the group as for myself. I think it's so important for everyone to hear real stories about how KM initiatives play out!

Cheers,
Stephen.

====================================
Stephen Bounds
Executive, Information Management
Cordelta
E: stephen.bounds@...
M: 0401 829 096
====================================
On 20/05/2021 12:14 am, David Graffagna wrote:

Stephen,

Great questions. I know from personal experience how changes in sponsors or leadership can impact KM initiatives so demonstrating value is key. It is also imperative to remain aligned as organizational goals change, new functions or areas of emphasis arise, or organization structure changes are implemented.

Without getting into a lot of detail, we assess our KM success based on a number of things, some of which are specific to individual initiatives. For example:
  • User Perception/Customer Satisfaction … we regularly survey our end-user audiences on how and they are using KM, where they are finding the most value (e.g., what's the perceived value of our efforts/initiatives), what issues they are typically trying to solve with KM, where they would like to see changes/enhancements to our efforts, etc.
  • Direct Alignment with Business Unit & Functional Area Leadership … we have established liaison relationships with leadership from various areas of the business allowing us to: a) provide those leaders with insight into how people in their areas are using KM, b) continually align our efforts with their goals, c) ensure KM is getting more and more embedded in their work processes, d) identify new or expanding areas where we can offer support, etc.
  • Practical Measures … typical measures such as site visits and resource usage, content ratings, content/resource submissions, etc.
  • Tying to Leadership Reporting Vehicles … connecting some of our efforts directly into reporting tools used by leadership to assess projects (e.g., lessons learned as part of quarterly leadership reporting dashboard).
  • KM Mentions … a bit selfishly, we also follow when, where and how often KM is mentioned/referenced in a wide variety of communication vehicles (e.g., CoP discussions, business area presentations/town halls, intranet articles/posts, internal newsletters, etc.)
Not certain that answers 100% of your questions Stephen, but that is where we are 18 months into our journey.

Best,

David