Re: Knowledge Mapping: Expiring content & Taxonomy counts #mapping #content-management #taxonomy

Dennis Thomas

My comments:  [DLT]

1.  This is a judgment call.  The retention period is relative to who uses the material and its time-value.

2.  No idea.  The general rule is whatever works.  Every situation is different.  There is, however, a point of diminishing returns.  At some point, the process becomes too cumbersome and people will not use it.

3.  See attached diagram of a knowledge acquisition study that was completed for the US Government.  It’s goal was to define what knowledge existed within the Science & Technology labs.  The study used Controlled Vocabularies to insure accuracy.  It was determined that much of the research knowledge could not be understood by the Program Managers and it was therefore, not implemented in end-user projects.   For this reason, associating Acronyms, Synonyms, jargon with the Controlled Vocabularies was essential. People understand based on the language they already know and understand.

Martha Nawrocki, our Master Knowledge Engineer modeled this project.  The Map was created by Dr. Richard L. Ballard, Principle Investigator

Good luck with your report.  Dennis

On May 25, 2021 at 1:33:18 AM, Jay Kreshel (jkreshel@...) wrote:

I have begun a Knowledge Mapping exercise and have learned a couple of things about my data that I need help managing.
  1. We have a lot of really good content. But, when we posted it to our Content Management Systems, we failed to document its post dates... AND, as we work through determining which content will help us engage our employees and customers at the right time. When it is time to add new content, what is the best practice on expiring content and when to remove it from the system?
  2. With our taxonomy of labels for tracking and tagging data, we have a list of 130 individual labels across 18 categories. Feels like a lot... What is the Best Practice for a reasonable count?
  3. I was also given guidance around a Controlled Vocabulary as an alternative. I believe that this would decrease the number of categories and categories. Does anyone have a case study that would help me determine which method to use?
Thanks in advance.

Jay.
(300 person start-up, Technology company.)