Re: Knowledge Mapping: Expiring content & Taxonomy counts #mapping #content-management #taxonomy

Tim Powell

Good questions, Jay!  Our answers here will be somewhat generic, given the inevitable limitations of what you are able you tell us in a public forum such as this.  That said, here, in order, are my thoughts:

  1. All knowledge begins to age as soon as it’s converted into information in a CMS.  In a fast-moving industry such as yours, some information is obsolete within a matter of hours.  It’s key to have such content dated, so the user can make his/her own decision as to how relevant it is to his/her business need.  It’s also key to have content attributed, so the true knowledge – which is human-centric – can be accessed for currency and greater depth.  CMS content should be thought of as an index to the true knowledge base of the company.  Re purge cycles, you can usually judge from usage data whether information is still useful.
  2. The number of categories I think is not so important as the business relevance and accessibility of the information.  “The magic  number 7 +/- 2” is a good guidepost for busy and overloaded users.  If you get much beyond that, you’re stretching the cognitive boundaries of the human “machine.”  It’s key here to get input from your users/clients – who will know a lot more about their needs than we “experts” will.
  3. Smaller companies (like yours) may have different needs than large, less dynamic enterprises.  You might find this article on metrics for venture-backed firms helpful:  https://growth.georgian.io/c/g7-the-seven-saas-me?x=gYRF2j&utm_campaign=May+2021+-+Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=128740944&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--ri_P1-xywGAhQ0Wovh1rCXut10kmF5NGGjOjb0s0WElaFx53_1kLPa0nN0CqjK6uIZtZ0iQ5c_jxq-QGvHlZWMYDMr9j38smehMp_34hifKkx_3E&utm_content=128740703&utm_source=hs_email

Good luck, hope this helps you,

Tim

TIM WOOD POWELL | President, The Knowledge Agency® | Author, The Value of Knowledge |

New York City, USA  |  TEL +1.212.243.1200 |

SITE www.KnowledgeAgency.com | BLOG www.KnowledgeValueChain.com |

From: <main@SIKM.groups.io> on behalf of Jay Kreshel <jkreshel@...>
Date: Tuesday, May 25, 2021 at 1:33 AM
To: "main@SIKM.groups.io" <main@SIKM.groups.io>
Subject: [SIKM] Knowledge Mapping: Expiring content & Taxonomy counts

I have begun a Knowledge Mapping exercise and have learned a couple of things about my data that I need help managing.

1.       We have a lot of really good content. But, when we posted it to our Content Management Systems, we failed to document its post dates... AND, as we work through determining which content will help us engage our employees and customers at the right time. When it is time to add new content, what is the best practice on expiring content and when to remove it from the system?

2.       With our taxonomy of labels for tracking and tagging data, we have a list of 130 individual labels across 18 categories. Feels like a lot... What is the Best Practice for a reasonable count?

3.       I was also given guidance around a Controlled Vocabulary as an alternative. I believe that this would decrease the number of categories and categories. Does anyone have a case study that would help me determine which method to use?

Thanks in advance.

Jay.
(300 person start-up, Technology company.)