Re: Knowledge Mapping: Expiring content & Taxonomy counts #mapping #content-management #taxonomy

Keith De La Rue

Jay -

In response to your point 1 - we developed a process to manage content currency in my work at Telstra. While our content may have been in a different context to yours, some of our approach may be useful. We had an online content library (using Lotus Notes/Domino) containing telecommunications product information (on complex voice, data and other products and services). This was mostly written by product managers, with the primary audience being the business and government sales force.

In this context, currency of the content was critical - giving out-of-date information to a customer could have severe legal and regulatory consequences. On the issue of expiry, we had an agreement between senior product and sales management that all entries in the library must be updated at least every 90 days. We developed workflow tools to manage this.

A key element was that every entry in the library (which may be a document, spreadsheet, presentation, audio or video file, or even a link or a text item) must include the name of its author. That author would then be responsible for the 90-day reviews. My team also managed the process - if an author had moved on, we would get the error message from the workflow and follow up with the relevant manager. We found that this element of ownership was critical for keeping content up to date.

Every entry also provided messaging for the audience - anyone could directly contact the responsible author with any questions or feedback.

I documented this process in a chapter in the book TIMAF Information Management Best Practices – Volume 1. This chapter is available on my website here:

http://delarue.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/03KeithDeLaRue.pdf

Keith De La Rue
AcKnowledge Consulting
...acting on knowledge, communication and learning
email: keith@...
phone: +61 418 51 7676
blog: http://acknowledgeconsulting.com/