Re: List of Knowledge Management Topics #roles #KM101 #definition

Eli Miron

Thanks,

It would be great if the final curriculum of the Knowledge Management Master's Degree Program at Kent State University, could be shared with the group

From: main@SIKM.groups.io <main@SIKM.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kevin Wheatly
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2021 10:12 AM
To: main@SIKM.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SIKM] List of Knowledge Management Topics #definition #KM101

Completely agree Patrick. Lists are really the building blocks or ingredients, if you will, towards making greater sense of what can be achieved in a variety of contexts and situations.

--

Kevin Wheatly | Advanced Manufacturing & Mobility Knowledge Management Lead | Global Markets - EY Knowledge

Ernst & Young LLP

Office: +44 (0) 207 951 7275 | kwheatly@...

From: main@SIKM.groups.io <main@SIKM.groups.io> On Behalf Of Patrick Lambe
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2021 12:51 AM
To: main@SIKM.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SIKM] List of Knowledge Management Topics #definition #KM101

Both Tim and Kevin displayed a very human urge to organise when faced with a collection in list format.

Collection into lists is an incredibly generative act (which is why the work Stan does is so influential). Generative because it stimulates self and others to organise. It is no coincidence that the explosion of scientific knowledge in Europe in the late 17th and early 18th century was accompanied by the growth of the encyclopedia as a literary form. And different people will organise differently based on their perspectives and needs. Each form of organisation gives us the opportunity to learn something new, because the organising principle reveals something different about the things being organised. It is no coincidence that the explosion of scientific knowledge in Europe in the late 17th and early 18th century was accompanied by the growth of the encyclopedia as a literary form. 

For example, Linnaeus organised biological organisms by physical (sexual) characteristics. That taught us about reproduction and directed our attention to the distinguishing characteristics of species. Buffon organised by context and habitat and that taught us about ecosystems and interactions/interdependencies between species. Cancers were traditionally organised by parts of the body and that directed treatments towards affected parts. Now, DNA sequencing permits new classifications of cancer that target treatments by their biological characteristics, no matter where they show up.

There are two points here:

1. The same lists can be organised in different ways, and different organising schemes can be productive in different ways.

2. None of this can happen without the Stans of this world. List makers rule!

P

Patrick Lambe
Partner
Straits Knowledge

phone:                                              +65 98528511

web:                                                  www.straitsknowledge.com
resources:                                        www.greenchameleon.com
knowledge mapping:          www.aithinsoftware.com

On 14 Jun 2021, at 7:46 PM, Stan Garfield <stangarfield@...> wrote:

On Sun, Jun 13, 2021 at 03:34 PM, Tim Powell wrote:

What is the PURPOSE-mission-goal of capturing such a list?  Who is it for?  How is it to be used?  What authority will it convey (if only by implication)?

Tim, thanks for these questions. I appreciate your post.

As a member of the Knowledge Management Master's Degree Program Board of Advisors Member at Kent State University, I started the list to help plan the curriculum. My intent was to provide a set of topics from which to select courses to offer. By creating a comprehensive list of possible course topics, the advisory board can avoid missing any that might be important.

Beyond this initial purpose, the list can be used by anyone interested in learning more about the field of knowledge management. Here is a comment I received when sharing the list in a LinkedIn post: "
Thank you very much. I love this. It will be helpful for me to understand KM".

It can be used as a KM encyclopedia. Patrick Lambe described me as an "encyclopedist of the discipline" which I think is accurate, so this list fits with his description. The list not only collects relevant topics; it includes links to articles that expand on each topic. So it is a curated collection of information and opinions on each topic.

It has no formal authority, but it may carry some weight based on my experience and that of the other contributors who responded to my request for additions. It is my personal view of the scope of the field, augmented by the contributions of other community members, including both objective explanations and subjective thinking.

I shared the list for three reasons:

1. To solicit additional topics. This worked, as the list grew from 185 to 257 topics (so far).
  2. To start a lively discussion. This worked, as this is the 32nd post in the thread (so far).
  3. To make it available to those who might benefit from its content. Based on the comments received so far, I think it will be useful to others.

This e-mail and any attachment are confidential and contain proprietary information, some or all of which may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the author immediately by telephone or by replying to this e-mail, and then delete all copies of the e-mail on your system. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this e- mail. Whilst we have taken reasonable precautions to ensure that this e-mail and any attachment has been checked for viruses, we cannot guarantee that they are virus free and we cannot accept liability for any damage sustained as a result of software viruses. We would advise that you carry out your own virus checks, especially before opening an attachment. EY refers to the global organization, and may refer to one or more, of the member firms of Ernst & Young Global Limited, each of which is a separate legal entity. Ernst & Young Global Limited, a UK company limited by guarantee, does not provide services to clients. EY Global Services Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registered number 5483856. Its registered office is at 6 More London Place, London, United Kingdom, SE1 2DA. EY Global Services Limited's business is confined to the supply of services to member firms of Ernst & Young Global Limited and related entities

Join main@SIKM.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.