Re: Need Help with Onboarding #knowledge-retention #onboarding

Robert L. Bogue

Lydia –

I think there are two key ways to improve the process.

First, create chunks that are understandable.  20 pages is a lot.  Creating an index of sorts that explains what is where is a good start.  The more the information can be packaged in a way that allow people to process it easily the more readily that it will be used.

Second, they need to know why THEY need to know what is in that section and why they want to interact with it.  One of the ways that I explain it is to write teasers that get people interested in the content.  There’s a video about it at https://thorprojects.com/blog/archive/2019/08/06/time-to-talk-tantalizing-teasers/

Finally, I’d offer that as much as I have an aversion to gamification, creating a simple map like a candy land / Life type board that shows people the steps to being a part of the team, the more likely they are to work their way through the packet.  (because the packet completion is connected with being a part of the organization.)

Rob

Robert L. Bogue

O: (317) 844-5310  M: (317) 506-4977 Blog: http://www.thorprojects.com/blog

Want to be confident about your change management efforts?  https://ConfidentChangeManagement.com