From: Stephen Bounds <km@...>
To: main@SIKM.groups.io
Sent: Thu, Jul 8, 2021 5:52 am
Subject: Re: [SIKM] Need Help with Onboarding

Thanks for your thoughts Tami, Murray, and Patrick.
So what I'm hearing is that a well-run onboarding process consists of:
  1. structural awareness of an organisation (org chart, supervisory arrangements, timesheets, policies, etc)
  2. cultural awareness activities and support for cultural integration
  3. identifying and addressing any foundational skill or knowledge gaps
  4. knowledge transfer about responsibilities and relationships
  5. knowledge transfer about role processes including how to apply role-specific skills
Some people might split (3) - (5) into an "induction" process separate from "onboarding", but let's assume they are all part of the same basic process for now.
I'm sure many people have experienced what might be termed a "shadow" induction as well - "The clipboards they give us are rubbish, go to Officeworks and get one of the $20 ones there instead. Don't talk to Bob for anything, he's incompetent but won't get fired because he is friends with the boss; get Sally's help if you can instead. Oh, and only ever claim 30 minutes of lunch even if you take the full hour - everyone does it."
Did I miss anything major? Would you drop any of these?
While the specifics of onboarding may differ, I still think it's worth thinking about why these categories of activities matter, how they can be objectively performed better or worse, and organisational factors that might warrant a change in approach.
Cheers,
Stephen.
====================================
Stephen Bounds
Executive, Information Management
Cordelta
E: stephen.bounds@...
M: 0401 829 096
====================================
On 8/07/2021 9:51 am, Patrick Lambe wrote:
It is also to help people get up to speed in their new roles, and again that’s as varied as the roles themselves.

Patrick Lambe
Partner
Straits Knowledge

phone:  +65 98528511

web:  www.straitsknowledge.com
resources:  www.greenchameleon.com
knowledge mapping:  www.aithinsoftware.com

On 8 Jul 2021, at 7:17 AM, Murray Jennex via groups.io <murphjen@...> wrote:

I'll think more on this Stephen but the first question that comes to mind is what in the purpose of onboarding and is it the same in all organizations? At the base level the purpose should be to introduce the new person to the basics of the organization and I can see that being a common standard, but at the high level it should also be to introduce the new person to the organizational culture and that I don't see as a standard approach....murray jennex