Re: Need Help with Onboarding #knowledge-retention #onboarding

Murray Jennex

I'd add a couple of things:
1. What the organizational values and how they impact work
2  How does the organization make decisions (do this a little later in the process)
3. What are the strategic goals and how do you specifically fit into them

thanks....murray

-----Original Message-----
To: main@SIKM.groups.io
Sent: Thu, Jul 8, 2021 5:52 am
Subject: Re: [SIKM] Need Help with Onboarding

Thanks for your thoughts Tami, Murray, and Patrick.
So what I'm hearing is that a well-run onboarding process consists of:
  1. structural awareness of an organisation (org chart, supervisory arrangements, timesheets, policies, etc)
  2. cultural awareness activities and support for cultural integration
  3. identifying and addressing any foundational skill or knowledge gaps
  4. knowledge transfer about responsibilities and relationships
  5. knowledge transfer about role processes including how to apply role-specific skills
Some people might split (3) - (5) into an "induction" process separate from "onboarding", but let's assume they are all part of the same basic process for now.
I'm sure many people have experienced what might be termed a "shadow" induction as well - "The clipboards they give us are rubbish, go to Officeworks and get one of the $20 ones there instead. Don't talk to Bob for anything, he's incompetent but won't get fired because he is friends with the boss; get Sally's help if you can instead. Oh, and only ever claim 30 minutes of lunch even if you take the full hour - everyone does it."
Did I miss anything major? Would you drop any of these?
While the specifics of onboarding may differ, I still think it's worth thinking about why these categories of activities matter, how they can be objectively performed better or worse, and organisational factors that might warrant a change in approach.
Cheers,
Stephen.
====================================
Stephen Bounds
Executive, Information Management
Cordelta
E: stephen.bounds@...
M: 0401 829 096
On 8/07/2021 9:51 am, Patrick Lambe wrote:
It is also to help people get up to speed in their new roles, and again that’s as varied as the roles themselves.

P

Patrick Lambe
Partner
Straits Knowledge

phone:  +65 98528511

web:  www.straitsknowledge.com
resources:  www.greenchameleon.com
knowledge mapping:  www.aithinsoftware.com

On 8 Jul 2021, at 7:17 AM, Murray Jennex via groups.io <murphjen@...> wrote:

I'll think more on this Stephen but the first question that comes to mind is what in the purpose of onboarding and is it the same in all organizations? At the base level the purpose should be to introduce the new person to the basics of the organization and I can see that being a common standard, but at the high level it should also be to introduce the new person to the organizational culture and that I don't see as a standard approach....murray jennex

-----Original Message-----
To: main@SIKM.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Jul 7, 2021 7:43 am
Subject: [SIKM] META: Need Help with Onboarding

Hi all,
I have been reading these super-useful exchanges with great interest and feel compelled to ask the question: As a KM community, how do we move beyond anecdote and sharing of individual experience in this area?
Onboarding and induction is surely one of the most universal and impactful knowledge practices any organisation implements. I can hardly think of a more useful place for us to develop and systematize a 'best practice' KM approach (with staff exit likely coming second).
In terms of the six "S" factors required to demonstrate a clinical approach:
  • Can we precisely specify the parts of an organisation that participate in induction?
  • Are there studies of induction practices and processes and their effectiveness we can draw upon?
  • Can we quantify standards (benchmarks) that could demonstrate where induction is working as it should?
  • Can we meaningfully talk about symptoms of poor induction? Can we map these to potential diagnoses of organisational dysfunction (diseases, disorders, syndromes, or conditions) using validated tools and a differential diagnosis approach?
  • Based on our diagnosis, can we document indications and contraindications for the deployment of known solutions to address suboptimal induction practices?
  • How do we capture and share all of this in a long-term, meaningful, and evolving way among the KM community?
I see lots of great information to draw on already. How do we take this to the next level?
Cheers,
Stephen.
Stephen Bounds
Executive, Information Management
Cordelta
E: stephen.bounds@...
M: 0401 829 096
On 6/07/2021 5:58 pm, Lydia Jamenya wrote:
Dear KMers, 

I need help with putting in place and onboarding and OffBoarding package for a large organisation.

I work for an organisation that has over 1000 staff, and where there are usually many reassignments. The problem is that, while we have a package, it is over 20 pages, which means new people don’t take the time to read it when they come to the country. Any advise on how this can be improved? We also don’t have an offboarding process that helps us retain knowledge from people leaving, any advice on how to go about this? Any insights will be highly appreciated.

Lydia

The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments is intended for specific individuals or entities, and may be confidential, proprietary or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately, delete this message and do not disclose, distribute or copy it to any third party or otherwise use this message. The content of this message does not necessarily reflect the official position of the World Food Programme. Electronic messages are not secure or error free and may contain viruses or may be delayed, and the sender is not liable for any of these occurrences. The sender reserves the right to monitor, record and retain electronic messages.

Join main@SIKM.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.