Re: Recommendation for KMS with specific features #tools

Tim Powell

Thanks Rob,

I am so glad you mention Adrian Slywotzky — his work was hugely influential on my own, and I think he deserves to be in everyone’s bag of management tools.  (And applaud your terrific summary of Demand.)

I’ve noticed that the great majority of the discussions and literature on KM focus on the SUPPLY side — the tools and techniques.  Value is produced on the DEMAND side, however — users, patrons, sponsors.  Failure to recognize and act on this simple insight is the single biggest obstacle to successful and effective KM.

I came to the knowledge field after working in marketing for PwC, and in the disciplines of competitive and market intelligence (CMI).  About 80% of the work I do now consists of applying basic marketing and management principles to knowledge.  “What if knowledge got an MBA?” is the tagline I use for my latest book, which builds on these principles.

Relentless focus on the needs of enterprise knowledge users — and how those needs change as circumstances change — can yield huge benefits.

In my experience,

Tim

TIM WOOD POWELL | President, The Knowledge Agency® | Author, The Value of Knowledge |

New York City, USA  |  TEL +1.212.243.1200 |

SITE www.KnowledgeAgency.com | BLOG www.KnowledgeValueChain.com |

From: <main@SIKM.groups.io> on behalf of "Robert L. Bogue" <rbogue@...>
Date: Friday, July 16, 2021 at 8:09 AM
To: "main@SIKM.groups.io" <main@SIKM.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SIKM] Recommendation for KMS with specific features #tools

Tami –

I was thinking about your response and I started to wonder if knowledge management was “not cool.”  I’ve seen some truly awful SharePoint implementations – and some amazing ones.  I think excluding software before identifying requirements and desires is probably not the right order – as many others have said or alluded to.

I like the idea of creating a listing of things that people have done but I wonder who will do the work of correlating and curating the content.

I’ve been pondering KM in the context of Adam Grant’s book Give and Take and how the goal of KM is to increase the degree to which people act like givers in their organizations and that we often do this by reducing or removing barriers.  (Ala hassle maps, See Demand)  It seems to me like we spend a lot of time building systems (human and technical) that reduce the ambiguity of how to share (give) and there by make it easier and less frightening.  I was just reviewing my notes from The Tipping Point because I was recalling the study about students getting tetanus shots and that the key differentiator was providing a map to where the health center was on campus.

All of this to say… I think it’s wise to figure out the operating model that we’re trying to instill in the organization and then seek to develop the systems that we believe will lead to that operating model.

Rob

Robert L. Bogue

O: (317) 844-5310  M: (317) 506-4977 Blog: http://www.thorprojects.com/blog

Want to be confident about your change management efforts?  https://ConfidentChangeManagement.com