Re: Recommendation for KMS with specific features #tools

Tim Powell

Thanks Rob,

I am so glad you mention Adrian Slywotzky — his work was hugely influential on my own, and I think he deserves to be in everyone’s bag of management tools.  (And applaud your terrific summary of Demand.)

I’ve noticed that the great majority of the discussions and literature on KM focus on the SUPPLY side — the tools and techniques.  Value is produced on the DEMAND side, however — users, patrons, sponsors.  Failure to recognize and act on this simple insight is the single biggest obstacle to successful and effective KM.

I came to the knowledge field after working in marketing for PwC, and in the disciplines of competitive and market intelligence (CMI).  About 80% of the work I do now consists of applying basic marketing and management principles to knowledge.  “What if knowledge got an MBA?” is the tagline I use for my latest book, which builds on these principles.

Relentless focus on the needs of enterprise knowledge users — and how those needs change as circumstances change — can yield huge benefits.

In my experience,

Tim

TIM WOOD POWELL | President, The Knowledge Agency® | Author, The Value of Knowledge |

New York City, USA  |  TEL +1.212.243.1200 | 

SITE www.KnowledgeAgency.com | BLOG www.KnowledgeValueChain.com |

From: <main@SIKM.groups.io> on behalf of "Robert L. Bogue" <rbogue@...>
Reply-To: "main@SIKM.groups.io" <main@SIKM.groups.io>
Date: Friday, July 16, 2021 at 8:09 AM
To: "main@SIKM.groups.io" <main@SIKM.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SIKM] Recommendation for KMS with specific features #tools

Tami –

I was thinking about your response and I started to wonder if knowledge management was “not cool.”  I’ve seen some truly awful SharePoint implementations – and some amazing ones.  I think excluding software before identifying requirements and desires is probably not the right order – as many others have said or alluded to.

I like the idea of creating a listing of things that people have done but I wonder who will do the work of correlating and curating the content.

I’ve been pondering KM in the context of Adam Grant’s book Give and Take and how the goal of KM is to increase the degree to which people act like givers in their organizations and that we often do this by reducing or removing barriers.  (Ala hassle maps, See Demand)  It seems to me like we spend a lot of time building systems (human and technical) that reduce the ambiguity of how to share (give) and there by make it easier and less frightening.  I was just reviewing my notes from The Tipping Point because I was recalling the study about students getting tetanus shots and that the key differentiator was providing a map to where the health center was on campus.

All of this to say… I think it’s wise to figure out the operating model that we’re trying to instill in the organization and then seek to develop the systems that we believe will lead to that operating model.

Rob

-------------------

Robert L. Bogue

O: (317) 844-5310  M: (317) 506-4977 Blog: http://www.thorprojects.com/blog

Want to be confident about your change management efforts?  https://ConfidentChangeManagement.com

Are you burned out?  https://ExtinguishBurnout.com can help you get out of it (for free)

From: main@SIKM.groups.io <main@SIKM.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tami Dubi via groups.io
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2021 2:50 AM
To: main@SIKM.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SIKM] Recommendation for KMS with specific features #tools

H Lisa and Robert,
Thanks for your detailed responses.

@Lisa_Austin, you actually read my mind. I was thinking of the holy grail while writing the specifications. I thought that a system with those specifications was non-existent, but I wanted to make sure that I didn't miss some magical system out there.

I agree with you that we can't have it all and have to be practical and focus on what we can achieve in what we have, and I also believe that strategy, processes, and people come before tools. However, companies today insist on tools, especially companies that are software developers themselves. 

The company/ companies that I referred to are fast-growing High-Tech startup companies, where most employees are in their 20s. 

And to answer your question, @Robert_Tylor, That is one of the reasons why I excluded SP, which is conceived cumbersome, outdated, and generally "not cool."
After reviewing your answer, I wonder if it is a good idea for us as a group of practitioners to form a shared knowledge source that will include a table that will include Software desirable features. We will share software that we worked with for each feature that gave us a solution for a KM challenge, maybe with a short example, something like the table below. I think it will contribute to the knowledge of this group. What do you think?

Feature

System that was used  

KM challenge that I solved

Example

Information protection issues

Specify other systems which integrated with the solution

A search engine that can search other software in the organization

Content management, including standardization and templates

Dynamic Q & A with validation options

Enhancing knowledge by using Visualization and usability

Forums/ chats/ supports community of practice

Decision support features including feedback process +...

Web-based/ cloud based

Responsive

Join main@SIKM.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.