Re: Exceptional KM Examples #question #case-studies

Dennis Thomas

Paul,

Congratulations on the success of your KM program.  I like that the emphasis is based on a business strategy and the alignment of the KM program to the business needs that supports that strategy.   Makes sense that the executive leaders would endorse the program.

I do have a couple of questions:
  • How broad was your program? Was it a Department wide program, or targeted to achieve a specific goal on behalf of the Board?
  • What kind of human capital components were involved in the program? Onboarding, blended in-person / eLearning, other?
  • Of these I am curious to know if ISD (Instructional Systems Design) was part of the planning, design, implementation, and delivery requirement?
  • What classes of knowledge were delivered? Documents, consumption-based Q&A? Explicit cognitive knowledge presented in eLearning formats?
  • How long has the program been in effect?
  • Is the program adaptive, meaning, does it evolve as external conditions change?
  • How large was the team that developed the program?
  • Are other departments looking at your program as a successful template?
So good to hear KM success stories.  That is why I am asking these questions.  KM needs to be celebrated every way we can.

Thanks for the good work!!

Dennis L. Thomas
IQStrategix
(810) 662-5199

Leveraging Organizational Knowledge

On August 3, 2021 at 9:26:51 AM, Paul McDowall via groups.io (paul_mcdowall@...) wrote:

I mentioned this a long time ago, but I'll say it again for those who might have joined since. Over the space of 16 years we saw virtually every (Canadian) government approach to KM, literally hundreds of attempts.  As the chairperson of the government's Interdepartmental KM Forum I was privileged to see these programs up close and personal.  Out of these hundreds of attempts we saw only three that I would class as 'successful', i.e., that had a direct and demonstrable business value impact for more than three consecutive years: the Auditor General of Canada, Defence Research and Development Canada, and my program at Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat.  In each case the KM program was directly aligned to the business needs and to contribute to the achievement of the business goals, and as such they garnered very strong senior leader support.